• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition while loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasbay

40 Cal
Reaction score
Now I know we are not supposed to load a Muzzleloader from the flask but instead from a measure. My question is, has anyone had a measure of powder ignite while loading and under what circumstance IE: dumping it in straight after firing, having it go off after swabbing the barrel then loading. Only personal experience please, not hearsay. Cheers

I think if just the right set of circumstances were together, it would go off. Maybe there's a small piece of ember from a wad in the bottom, or your flash channel has a piece of smoldering cotton (or whatever) in it.

Is it likely? Probably not, is it possible, yes.

Last edited:
It happens to me all the time.

It happens so much that I look down the bore while pouring powder in to see if it'll happen again.

And it always ignites. WOOSH!

It's not that I mind wasting powder, mind you, but I do mind everyone asking me where my eyelashes are.

Last edited:
1699027298653.gif

Now I know we are not supposed to load a Muzzleloader from the flask but instead from a measure. My question is, has anyone had a measure of powder ignite while loading and under what circumstance IE: dumping it in straight after firing, having it go off after swabbing the barrel then loading. Only personal experience please, not hearsay. Cheers
I did have a load torch off this past summer first time in 50 years and tens of thousands of rounds. I was the first time I recall forgetting to blow down the barrel after firing a round.

I did have a load torch off this past summer first time in 50 years and tens of thousands of rounds. I was the first time I recall forgetting to blow down the barrel after firing a round.
There is NO way in hell I am putting my mouth over a barrel and blowing down a barrel after firing a round. 50 years of that ? Seriously?

There is NO way in hell I am putting my mouth over a barrel and blowing down a barrel after firing a round. 50 years of that ? Seriously?
Why? What evil do you think is going to happen? I blow down my rifle barrel after every shot. It adds a little moisture to the fouling & confirms my nipple is clear. Some say it blows out any embers, but I don't know how one can "prove" that. Old timers did it all the time, so I'm saying it's "period correct"! Now watch everybody scream I'm crazy & how unsafe I am.

Yep, and a fully accepted practice in the west. We don't have lawyers writing rules for us, and don't follow like sheep. Blowing down the barrel has been, and always will be a safety step. If you want to worry about something, try speed loading events,. I've seen more ramrods broke and through hands than I have seen heads blown off.

I've seen it happen twice during a speed firing match where the blank cooked off in a Pedersoli Bess, and once when the young man was using a flask and a spout with a valve to load a Remington Zouave when he ran out of cartridges. The first two burned fingers, the last one was lucky, and the flask got tossed about 40 yards when the charge cooked off and didn't reach the powder inside.

LD

'afternoon,

I've seen it once, at a reenactment last month. Loading from a paper cartridge after firing, must've been an ember near the muzzle, because it all went off in his hand. Very fortunately no serious burns.

Looking back, that second of shock on everyone's face...

Mike

No offense, but gun go boom, you feel recoil, new hole in target, or gong goes ding. What's there to fear? I've done it thousands of times, only do it to one certain gun nowadays. But i use a hose so people don't freak out. Some say it puts embers out others say it fuels the fire. I dunno know, guess I'm just old school.

Suffice it to say it is unicorn rare. When it does happen it is from trying to shoot quickly and ramming paper down the bore. IF you want to shoot fast shoot modern guns. If you load with the gun pointed in a safe direction and use a separate powder measure then it will not be a catastrophic event. IF a guy is worried about it, shoot modern guns. IF you are not willing to do that damp swab between shots. This imaginary issue sure gets people worked up.

Back