• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do's and Don'ts when buying first BP shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha. So they will work with regular BP but also pyrodex or whatever if you have to use that in a pinch. In today's world you have to plan for worst case scenario. If I purchase a large lot of the 1075+ then I should be in good shape for whatever powder I might end up having to use.

If you can find an older Pedersoli made before they put weight on in the 1980s, that would be my suggestion. My 12 gauge made in 1978 tips the scales at 5.8 pounds, and is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

1075 vs 1075+, just use black powder and buy whatever caps you find. You may need to have nipples ‘specific’ to various caps, but you won’t know that until you actually use them, and nipples are cheap. Have found any decent cap that goes bang will work with blackpowder.

If you can find an older Pedersoli made before they put weight on in the 1980s, that would be my suggestion. My 12 gauge made in 1978 tips the scales at 5.8 pounds, and is a pleasure to carry and shoot.

1075 vs 1075+, just use black powder and buy whatever caps you find. You may need to have nipples ‘specific’ to various caps, but you won’t know that until you actually use them, and nipples are cheap. Have found any decent cap that goes bang will work with blackpowder.
Roger that. Thanks man. I am going to make a quick trip down to Dixie tomorrow and see how much their powder is, but I think what I'll do is make a bulk online order. Once you have to pay the hazmat on an order you might as well get a good size haul on an order. I think I'll order several of the 1075+ and a few pounds of 2F depending on how much I can spare at the moment.

Percussion, double barrel. I have never truly gotten into having a gun "fit" for me. I have always shot pretty much stock or factory shotguns and they have worked for me pretty well. I do have a couple that fit really well and I could likely figure out what drop and such works best. As far as L.O.P. my elephant rifle is 14 3/4 give or take and it fits me very well. If I can figure out how to measure the drop then whatever it is works pretty well for me too. I don't think I will need much in the way of cast on or cast off.
View attachment 1000007711.jpg

I recommend giving this a read. Check out z-library or Anna's List, those sites can probably help getting a digital version for free. But it goes over fitting in a pretty thorough way.

The Pedersoli doubles in 12 and 20 are in current production and do well. On the used market the single barrel 12 TC New Englander can be good.

Excellent, thanks for the info. I am about to get in the truck and run down to Dixie Gun Works in just a few minutes and see what they have and pick up some cleaning supplies.

I’ve wondered about the Military Heritage (flint) double 20 ga. Or the Middlesex Village version. Both under $800. I think one has a rear sight.
If anyone has any insight in these I’d appreciate the input

I just got back from union city with a batch of #11 caps and the proper size cleaning jag for this 10 gauge. That video was very helpful. I cut the top off a jug, filled it with hot water and Dawn. Gave the barrels a good plunging then dry patched them and blew them dry. Ran a couple of the pre lubed patches from the store down the barrels to oil them wiped the nipples with them also and wiped down the outside and put her back together. That was WAY easier than what I was trying to do yesterday
I even thought about putting an empty jug like that in the truck if I was out in the field. I can boil water with my jet boil and give it a quick cleaning if I were going to be out for an extended.period of time
Now I have to seriously start searching for a shotgun of my own!

Sounds like you already know what you want, 10g double. I would recommend one choked barrel and one cylinder bore, I think that combo is more versatile. You can load it down lite with 3/4 or 7/8 Oz loads for upland or 1 1/2 or heavier for turkey and water fowl. Mine throws a mean load of bucks shot also.
Things to avoid, jags and wire brushes both can be trouble and are unnecessary.

I have older pedersoli 10GA double percussion. I like being able to vary the loads to suit the quarry be it game or clays. Just cause its a 10Ga you dont have to load it heavy. Also have a T/C 12ga New englander percussion and a .62 flintlock smoothbore. I really enjoy the Flintlock for Turkeys or small game. For clays and birds on the wing I use the 10 Ga.. I also shoot a lot of round balls out of the .62 smoothie . If you are going after birds on the wing and clays get a double. Turkeys , small game and deer with ball get a flint Smoothie.

Mal

It's fun.... makes you a better shot.

I'm on the lucky to have this, not a felon. But from modern everything to only blackpowder I'm happy this is fun.

It's not for everyone. You kinda gotta know more all around the gun and hunting with it.. so hard for a compete beginner and allot to teach.. like fishing I could teach kids all day... but an adult no

My experience is limited to one hunting season but I’ll share what I’ve learned.
I picked up a beautiful Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS this past fall. I hunted ducks with it. I hunt ponds on our property and shots are relatively close. It was adequate. Missed game was my fault. I had a few cripples, but with my dog it worked out. The little gun handles quickly and is a joy to shoot.

I wanted a bit more horsepower so I also picked up a 10 gauge (Pedersoli). I’ve only shot trap with it as I got it after duck season closed. I can say 25 shots or so with full loads is enough for me. Recoil isn’t brutal, but it’s there.

Both guns have fixed chokes, cylinder and improved cylinder. I pretty much just ended up using over shot wads for all the wadding. I’d load powder, 3-4 over shot wads, shot, then 1 over shot wad. I carry a very small spray bottle with diluted Balistol. I give each barrel a “drink” every 2/3 shots.

I plan to use the 10 gauge for waterfowl and the 20 for everything else. As for turkey- I hunt them every spring. Honestly, I’ve been fortunate and don’t usually have trouble getting birds close. Anything will kill a turkey at 7-20 yards. I used my .40 flintlock last season and I doubt I’ll return to the shotgun. I’ve learned a broadside shot to center mass is deadly and doesn’t ruin any meat.

Take this for what it’s worth. It’s my limited experience. Your mileage may vary.

Use enough gun, as Ruark wrote.
You can load a 10 or 12 down for clays, doves and such. You can not load a 20 up enough for geese or turkey.
I much prefer a double, not least because so much of what we want a shotgun for will be in flocks or coveys or gaggles and other groups. My doubles, regardless of gauge, tend to be in the 6 pound range. Weight is not too much of a factor in a boat or blind. But you will rue every unnecessary ounce if you follow dogs all day or are shooting a lot, as at clays.

I hunt it like a single shot my double... a hammer at a time... reload on both empty.. it's a two birds limit on a Pheasant loop..

Started carrying lead for ten birds... I carry 6 shots now... 10 shots or more if it's a good spot to pick up other small game like a rabbits or pats...

I use powder tubes still... pre loads.. i would l ike to get a nice shot / powder pouch flask also...

Wads I carry a year supply make them easy to find... musket caps to.. there in a few pockets to get at.

I shoot real back powder, and 1075's work just great. The 1075 plus will certainly work.

Last year I installed musket cap nipple on the SxS that I use for target shooting (Sporting clays and skeet), and used musket caps, as I couldn't find 11's or 1075's anywhere. They set off the charges just great, but that left barrel throws all kinds of residue and occasional bits of copper cap into the forward hand and wrist, and it really hurts sometimes drawing blood. Heavy shirt and glove fixes that, the 1075's do it as well but much less. I would guess that the 1075+ are somewhere in between.

I have been a member of a few different hunting/shooting forums for a while now so I know better than to post the old "I want to buy my first whatever, what should I get". Instead I'll give you all an idea of my plans for the gun and you all can feel free to chime in with what I should be looking for in a new BP shotgun, as well as what I should be looking to avoid. Any and all recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.
This will be my first BP shotgun, I will be using it mainly for turkey hunting, as well as patterning and recreational shooting in my backyard. Might take it out for a goose hunt depending on how much I get into this whole "shooting dirty" business. I have a lot of experience with firearms in general as well as reloading, however I have just never really ventured far into the realm of black powder, but I have borrowed a 10 gauge from a buddy of mine to attempt to kill a turkey this year and I really have enjoyed working with it. I think this is a hobby I would enjoy pursuing, so I intend to purchase a B.P. shotgun of my own. So let me have it, gauges, makes, models, barrel lengths, choke or not to choke? Any and all advice is welcome.
As well as tips on gear, cleaning equipment and any other stuff I need to know to get started properly.
SO many options !!! Try to shoot or at least handle as many types as possible ... I love flintlock trade guns but thats not for everyone . Hope you get yo shoot some different ones too , that'd be great . best of luck !!

I have been researching hard! I figured I had better learn a good bit about what all is out there as well as what a lot of these terms I am unfamiliar with mean, for instance the "trade gun" and "jug choke". I am headed in to work tonight and hopefully it will be a slow night so I will get the opportunity to do some reading. I have a couple of rifles and pistols that I may sell in order to facilitate being able to get a couple different muzzle loaders. I would like to get a shotgun for sure and also a nice rifle. I have a couple of guns here at the house to start messing with. I have an old Hawken kit rifle someone had given me, it had a ball stuck in it for about 10 years. I pulled it the other day and I am trying to get it back into firing condition and a Lyman "new army 44" which I have had since I was a kid. I think it may have actually been my granddads. I remember firing it when I was a teenager. It is still in good shape. Lots of options out there in the muzzle loader world. Maybe I need a replica of an African hunting rifle as well.

I have a pedersoli 10ga waterfowl sxs and have used it to kill turkey, dove and ducks I like it alot but I wish is had screw in chokes, I am currently looking for a sxs with screw in. I have just purchased a unfired thompson center new englander 12ga with screw in choke and it came with a full choke(i also
bought a extend turkey choke but haven't shot it yet). I heard a lot of people swear against screw in but since I was looking for a dedicated turkey gun I was willing to try it. After getting the gun and shooting it alot, I have had zero problems loading. All that I needed was thin over shot cards to get a great pattern and loading is a breeze. Powder, 4 thin cards, shot, thin card. They curl up easily and square up with the rammer. Gonna let my wife use it for dove season with a modified choke. I never understood anyone's stance against a screw in choke because at anytime you can buy a cylinder Bore choke if one so desires, or anything in-between. There is a 10ga screw in pedersoli on gunbroker. I just bought my new new englander 2 weeks ago or it would be mine.

Below is my 10ga with a turkey and the turkey target is my 10ga at 25yds with the improved cylinder barrel fixed choke.

The paper target is my new englander 12ga at 25yards with a screw in full choke.

For turkey I prefer the single barrel because you don't have to aim left or right of the turkeys head. As you can see in the turkey target my shot is a little
Left. For traditional "bird" hunting I prefer the sxs because it gives you the follow up shot. Sometimes we don't get as many chances as we want, so I want to make most of it.

Attachments

• 20210501_074723.jpg
    20210501_074723.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_174022.jpg
    20240303_174022.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240317_173812.jpg
    20240317_173812.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Only looking at "new to me" I don't mind at all if it is an older or vintage gun. I'm just looking to get into a B.P shotgun
Find your local black powder club, go to a match. Shake hands, be friendly. I shoot with my mentor, he's a charter member of the Red River Renegades .
Through him I met another gentleman who sold me a mule ear 12 bore w screw in chokes. I've shot trap with it.
Also found a very nice original William Moore 12 bore for a song on GB. I almost feel bad about it. I've hunted and shot clay birds with it also. Bought a 20 bore double here, very happy with it, the wife likes it too.
Go to our classified, post a WTB, see what turns up.

Latest posts

Back