• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make it, cobbled together shot dripper.
Well I was going to put some pics up, but can't seem to attach them this morning.

Shot drippers are pretty easy to make, plenty of vids out there. Now the shot made at home is not as round as dropped from a tower, but it works well enough.

Last edited:
I bought a twenty-five pound sack of #5 shot from the local Bass Pro shop just last week. After tax, I think it was around $60 out the door. They didn’t have a lot in stock… one sack each of #6, #5, and (I think) #7-1/2, but it was there.

I imagine shipping charges for shot would be substantial, but I’ll admit, I haven’t investigated this recently. Packages occasionally take a thrashing on their way to my house, also. Especially heavy ones. I was glad to avoid the risk of spilled, lost shot in transit. Considering your recent issues with shippers, that may be something to think about.

If I were you, @Smokey Plainsman , I would look for reloading suppliers within driving distance. You can often check the stock of the individual “big box” stores online before you make the drive, or just call them. have also bought shot in the past through a local gun club that had a big sporting clays membership.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Have a shotgun coming (Pedersoli 12 gauge side by side) and want to hunt squirrel and rabbits. Maybe turkeys.

Where are y’all getting your loose shot? I’ve harvested some from unmentionable shells but it’s a waste. Thinking #5 for the squirrel and rabbits (should I choose something else?).

Thanks.
I can’t seem to find #5 myself.

ROTO metals is the place if you can’t find it locally. 50 lbs for $132 freight included. My post office ladies hated when I got some because they stuff 2 bags in one flat rate shipping box
Right. I had trouble finding shot because of democrats and chinese. However, Roto metals had it, and Roto is located in California of all places. I met the mail lady and carried the bag to my house like a good guy. Another time I found my mailbox straining under 20 pounds of pure lead ingots.

If you are looking to try out your gun and don't have any shot, go to wally world and buy a box of the cheapest 25 rounds boxes for 9 bucks and some change until you can find a bag of shot in the size you want. That way you have already pre-measured charges to use. Just cut the end off the shotshell and pour it down the barrel. Don't pass up gunshows and flea markets. In November, bought 9 bags of old paper shotshells for 20 bucks. There was more than 100 shells in those bags of all kinds of calibers and shot sizes. In those old paper shells, the powder is no good anymore but I bought all the shells he had just to have the shot.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
Back