• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore shotgun for turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't help thinking that this thread is much like installing and turning the air-condition switch on in a 1915 Model T !
Why do you think that? I'm wanting a cheap, not traditional in many people's opinion, TC New Englander 12 or have a barrel made for my CVA Hawken. I never said anything about wanting a traditional gun.

"KEEPING TRADITION ALIVE" Why are there even any discussions like this on this forum?

1703104239486.png

If you already have a 20G with screw in chokes, perhaps that CVA barrel you mentioned in your op clould be bored out to 20 and threaded to accept the chokes you have.
That's what I'm thinking. I don't have a 20g with chokes but I can get chokes. I was trying to contact a couple local gunsmiths that make still board "turkey shoot" barrels and see what they could do with this CVA 1" 50 barrel. I've seen some 20g ml's with extra full chokes put modern shotguns to shame.

"KEEPING TRADITION ALIVE" Why are there even any discussions like this on this forum?

View attachment 277919
Because I was asking if anyone has seen or had a barrel made or modified for screw in chokes or something that throws a good pattern for turkey hunting. Besides, I'm talking about modifying a CVA. From what I've read on here, most members wouldn't care.

View attachment 277919
How's a guy supposed to learn anything if he doesn't ask? How about doing your part to
"keeping the tradition alive" and pointing me in the right direction or giving positive advice.

I agree with Eric Krewson that a jug choked smoothbore flintlock is the way to go for turkey. You do not have to screw any choke out to load and then back in after loading. Standard loading is all you have to do and cleaning is easy. I am using a .62 cal. trade gun and easily kill turkey out to 30 yards with a 1 1/8th oz. of lead #6 shot over 70 grains of Swiss ffg powder.

Just me, but I feel that screw in chokes for muzzle loading shotguns negates the entire concept of using one. I mean to modernize a muzzleloader is to say why am I bothering with a front stuffer. Why not use a regular cartridge/shell gun?
Because it depends on WHERE one draws their line from traditional to modern...,

"jug Choke" is apparently a modern thing, meaning from the era where ML's were transitioning to fixed ammo. Jug Choke History TMLF

Some guys won't use a caplock, which btw was invented to be more successful than the "scent bottle" ignition, and that was invented to be more successful on flying birds than using a flintlock

Does one intend to give up hunting when one cannot use the open, iron sights? What if one needs an optic, but they were not used on the type of rifle the hunter has?

We can go around and around with this topic, if we want to waste time, for it's a question of aesthetics

For example, I've been told that using salt to bring deer in, and using a tree stand, are all modern things, except I've read how men would climb up into trees after digging a hole a short way off and pouring in rock salt....

LD

I have a Colrain turkey barrel and have taken a number of turkeys with it. I bought it in 92/93. It was one of the first barrels sold privately after the original contract order. I would not hesitate to take a shot at 40 yards although never had to. At 25 yards if I do my part no turkey should get away. Several times I didn't do my part. This is a very good barrel but is a little hard to load through the tight choke. Colrain barrels are good barrels. I have several of them in different calibers.

I sold a 12 GA cyl bore CVA Gobler. Of all the ones I have sold I miss it the most. Skycheif load in this one was like a TIGHT turkey choke. You do NOT need a choke tube. Helps but get a shooter jug choked and yer good to go. If thats what ya want tho go for it. Not a thing wrong with what yer after. Have a good time and keep us posted with photos along the way.

I have a Colrain turkey barrel and have taken a number of turkeys with it. I bought it in 92/93. It was one of the first barrels sold privately after the original contract order. I would not hesitate to take a shot at 40 yards although never had to. At 25 yards if I do my part no turkey should get away. Several times I didn't do my part. This is a very good barrel but is a little hard to load through the tight choke. Colrain barrels are good barrels. I have several of them in different calibers.
Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it! That 20g Colerain turkey choke barrel looks nice.

I sold a 12 GA cyl bore CVA Gobler. Of all the ones I have sold I miss it the most. Skycheif load in this one was like a TIGHT turkey choke. You do NOT need a choke tube. Helps but get a shooter jug choked and yer good to go. If thats what ya want tho go for it. Not a thing wrong with what yer after. Have a good time and keep us posted with photos along the way.
Glad to hear this about the gobbler. I've read mixed reviews. Mostly about how light and junky the gun is. But other guys say they are shooters. All I want is a shooter and that would be good enough.

I sure miss mine but have a dbl 20 I am working with. Just seems I want the double and needed to this a bit to get my kibler. They are light but I shot 1 and 2 f and recoil was not an issue. Using sky chief loads it's really s great shotgun

Eric, that is a tremendous pattern you are getting from your jug-choked 12. I haven't paid much attention to this alteration because I somehow assumed it would prevent the safe use of round ball, but apparently not.
Looking back into the origins of the jug choke, I found this eight-year-old thread. But I am not certain it is definitive that the jug choke dates only to 1871 or so.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jug-choke-beginning.99334/

Once I finally got bored with cartridge shotgun competition , and moved into muzzloading smoothbores for hunting , and competition , I eventually learned how to load a m/l smooth bore to be effective on harder to kill critters , like squirrels , ringneck pheasants , etc. I reloaded thousands of ctg. shot shells , so simply converted that knowledge to m/l smooth bores. Though not legal in all states , I found I could have a versitile Navy Arms 10 ga. double , w/ shot in one barrel , and a patched ball in the other , good to 50 yds. Too old to play w/ those toys any more , but still know how ta do it. It's all good.

Why screw in chokes?
Why not chrome plated miniature landau
irons set in the wrist area and a purple to rainbow sling? Don’t forget orange dingle balls applied to the bottom of the shooting bag for those states requiring orange.
Just for yuks, no offense intended. Do whatever you want, it’s your gun!

Latest posts

Back