• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't hate coyotes at all. I just don't want them to take away the other forms of wildlife I enjoy. They can't help being born a coyote, anymore than I can help being born a human. One thing is certain, we will both fight to survive and we will eat what we are designed to eat to survive. Farming has changed so dramatically around where I live in the past 30yrs. that small game has little chance against any predator. There is just no place to raise their young, there is no cover. In a healthy environment, the cover and food sources, would permit all species to have their niche in the wild. But, that doesn't exist here in my area anymore. In time, we probably will not have any or many coyotes at all as there will be no food for them to survive and they will move on to greener areas.

Most people can't read tracks and sign well enough to read the story about a kill, as you found out with your co-worker, Herb. I have seen dead deer carcasses, that were fed on by coyotes after the death, and I have seen dead deer carcasses that were killed by the coyotes. The story- the truth-- is in the tracks and sign.

For the most part, most coyotes hunt alone- as their main diet IS mice. However, mothers often keep their pups with them through the first winter, not only to teach them how to kill, and hone their skills, but to teach them how to hunt as a pack. Both activities insures her own survival and the health birth of a new litter of pups in the Spring. The harder the winter, the more likely that coyotes will team up and hunt as a pack. They do tend to be either litter mates, or from the same mother, however.

I read in the last month that reintroducing wolves is a priority across the USA with a focus on the New England states. If you think you have trouble with 50 pound Coyotes wait until you have a bunch of these. Ron

2009wolf1-1.jpg

2009wolf2-1.jpg

I really feel for you gentlemen who live in areas with a large coyote population. Out where I am in the Lost Coast of CA, we have some yotes but not too many - the mountain lions must keep them in check. I don't hate any predator but still I'm with you all - if there was one around my house going after my cats or chickens or my beloved Carolina Dog, I would 'off it' in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately I have read somewhere - sorry, I can't remember where - that the more the coyote population in an area is pressured through being hunted by humans, the more frequently the coyote females go into estrus and therefore the more often they become pregnant, to compensate for the higher mortality. I hope that is not true, but I fear it is..

What is the solution - airborne drones armed with shotguns and sterilization pellets?

Yow!!! That is a huge animal. And, yes, they are coming to our area. All by themselves. The Wolf obsessors cant wait even at that. They want a program to re-introduce them.

Supposedly the wolves go after the coyote population. Apparently they just won't tolerate them. Not sure what to think of that trade-off! :shocked2:

Ron, is that the Frank Church in the back ground?
I was with another Ron there 2 years ago hunting Elk and the wolves had beaten down the population pretty hard.
Ed

Well I ain't the one who would tell a man what he should shoot and what he should not shoot. The main point I wanted to make is that if a fellar decimates the coyote population too much he will have bigger problems than the coyote. I wont go into all of the obvious problems but I will name one and that is fleas. You let the small game get too popular around your woods and you'll be ate up with them buggers in no time. Now, I ain't saying a man needs to let all of his rabbits go to the coyote's pot, but I will maintain a healthy population of coyotes is beneficial to you and the rabbits and other small game. You can start with the fleas or go smaller or go bigger, but the problems that will come from wiping out your coyote population is still there. As for the hunting of them critters, carry on. However, if you are covered up with them dogs, trapping is the best and fastest way to control them. Its just as tough as hunting them and just as fun. They wont make you rich, but you can always sell their hides. I know its rough when you are over populated, remember, I've been trapping them for years. I have over 35 traps out now for them dogs. I'll take around 10 in those traps when I check them wednesday along with a couple of foxes. Foxes eat the same things coyotes do, but we can't wipe them out either. I have learned that coyote's doins are blamed on foxes and vice versa by people who don't know any better. If a cat comes up missing, I'll bet a fox is the culprit everytime unless I can read sign different. So, I ain't saying for a man not to do what he wants, I'm just giving my opinion as to the outcome is all.

Yeah, Thats a pretty big ole dog, but what impresses me the most is whats behind'em. We don't get to see much of that in Alabama. Man, views like that gives me the hankers.

I would also like to add that when you hear coyotes yapping and caterwaling and sounding like every coyote in the land is cutting up. Its usually only around two or three. They're some animals ain't they?

August West said:
Capper said:
I remove coyotes for ranchers in my area. I use a .223 and shoot more than a few.

You should stop making so many assumptions.

Assumptions based on experience, I have never met a serious coyote hunter that professed to hate coyotes, your the first, if what you say is true.

You like to argue and throw your weight around and are very opinionated. Lots of different people in the world with a lot of different opinions, an open mind is a very good thing. Chris
:hatsoff:

Yeah it takes time, you want them out of the traps asap. I saw where someone is coming out with a video that shows the techniques of laying sets through out the weekend. Its supposed to help manage the time it takes to just trap on the weekend. I wont lay a set unless I can check it in a maximum of 48 hours for dogs and 24 hours for a water set. You know down here in Alabama you don't have to be afraid of much like up north where them "monsters be" I would like to reccommend a book THE TIGER BY JOHN VAILLANT. We have all saw the old maps where it said, "Here there be monsters." Check out this book or its synopsis and think how it would be if we faced such as this when we hunted. Enough to raise the hackles on this here boy. I know some of you roam around where ol'Ephraim lives, but dang, even the old griz rarley hunts a man. Where some of those russian boys are hunting there truly be monsters.

Lots of different people in the world with a lot of different opinions, an open mind is a very good thing.

This is always a controversial subject that brings out strong opinions from both sides. I hope we can all continue to discuss it without getting personal. :v

goody said:
I don't think they are that much of a threat to deer;but they do take out the rabbits,pheasants, turkey,grouse and quail. So I will shoot them if I get the chance.

Their heck on cats and small dogs. Almost got rund over in my back yard t'uther day by a small herd of deer being ran by a pack of 'yotes. Wife's little dog got et when we first moved in. Got nothing for 'em ('yotes). Modern or muzzleloader, shoot every one I see. :cursing:

I would also like to add that when you hear coyotes yapping and caterwaling and sounding like every coyote in the land is cutting up. Its usually only around two or three. They're some animals ain't they?

Maybe only three or so to a pack, but when we antelope hunt and rise before daylight, just about then they start sounding off. We will hear three to five packs going off at once.

They are some animals alright. I admire their tenacity. I also admire their pelts. It would be a rare circumstance when I would pass on a shot.

Back