• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's not shipping bp guns anymore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to understand here. So if you buy a muzzleloader in Ohio the seller is required to do a background check on all buyers? In other words a muzzleloader is the same as any modern firearm in Ohio. Am I understanding you correctly?? So if I wanted to sell one of my muzzleloaders to a guy from Ohio I would need to go through an FFL and have a background check done on him otherwise I would never know he was a felon. Correct?
Not a lawyer, it's just my opinion.

It is illegal to buy or sell to a convicted violent felon a muzzleloader in certain states. Ohio is one of them, and Cabela"s broke Ohio law. If corporations were truly "people" Cabela's would be in jail for violating state law. Not only did they violate the law, but they were negligent in doing so, as it resulted in a death. I hope the family got a sizable settlement too.

The defendant who was prohibited from having a muzzleloader or any other gun, bought one from Cabela's and shot and killed his neighbor.

I think Cabela's got of "light" considering.

Had Cabela's followed the law, the plaintiff might still be alive and Cabela's would still be shipping muzzleloaders.

That's my 2 cents.

So you would be in favor of background checks and face to face only sales for muzzleloaders then?

So you would be in favor of background checks and face to face only sales for muzzleloaders then?

I wish it wasn't necessary at all. Unfortunelty every time someone violates the law, another chip of our rights is broken away.
When I sell a gun I make a concerted effort to make sure the person buying it isn't a liability risk.
Do you ?

Just trying to understand here. So if you buy a muzzleloader in Ohio the seller is required to do a background check on all buyers? In other words a muzzleloader is the same as any modern firearm in Ohio. Am I understanding you correctly?? So if I wanted to sell one of my muzzleloaders to a guy from Ohio I would need to go through an FFL and have a background check done on him otherwise I would never know he was a felon. Correct?

I too am no longer a big fan of Cabela's since they sold out to Bass Pro but do buy on occasion but not like I used to. Quit Dick's years ago.

Dave
Cabela's didn't just sell out to Bass Pro. It was essentially a hostile take over brought about by a man named Paul Singer. There is a video on YouTube about it.

Cabela's didn't just sell out to Bass Pro. It was essentially a hostile take over brought about by a man named Paul Singer. There is a video on YouTube about it.

pwbsmokey -- Did not know that. I will have to check that out. Thanks.

In my opinion Cabelas did nothing wrong in selling the muzzleloader to that guy as there was no requirement for a NICS check. Cabelas has now instituted a form to cover their behinds but no NICS check. So if the a felon goes in to buy a BP gun all he has to do is lie on the form as no NICS check is performed based on what Enfield58 just experienced. But Cabelas can produce a document to show he lied on their. While it was horrible for the family of the guy that got shot I do not see how Cabelas is responsible and should have to pay anything in this crazy sue happy society we have. I love to be corrected when wrong so any inputs appreciated.

And lastly I am planning on selling some of my BP guns and was curious as to how Carbon6 performs his check when he sells a BP gun that the buyer is or is not a liability issue. I go through the FFL process for modern guns. I am only talking BP guns and just trying to be cautious and not obnoxious. Can only learn through asking questions of more experienced people then me.

Dave

It is illegal to buy or sell to a convicted violent felon a muzzleloader in certain states. Ohio is one of them, and Cabela's broke Ohio law. If corporations were truly "people" Cabela's would be in jail for violating state law. Not only did they violate the law, but they were negligent in doing so, as it resulted in a death. I hope the family got a sizable settlement too.

The defendant who was prohibited from having a muzzleloader or any other gun, bought one from Cabela's and shot and killed his neighbor.

I think Cabela's got of "light" considering.

Had Cabela's followed the law, the plaintiff might still be alive and Cabela's would still be shipping muzzleloaders.

That's my 2 cents.
Does Ohio require a background check to purchase a muzzleloader? If Cabela's didn't do the required check then yes they would be liable. If they did do the required check and it came back clean, how would Cabela's be liable? That would mean that the check system is flawed. If Cabela's was not required to do a background check, which the feds and most states if not all states don't require, then how would Cabela's know if the purchaser is a felon or not? Even if the state doesn't require a background check, but Cabela's askes if you are a felon just to cover their butt, and the customer lies, without a check there is no way that the store could know if the customer is lying. So unless you know that Cabela's did not do their due dillegence, I don't understand how you can say that Cabela's got off "light".

pwbsmokey -- Did not know that. I will have to check that out. Thanks.

In my opinion Cabelas did nothing wrong in selling the muzzleloader to that guy as there was no requirement for a NICS check. Cabelas has now instituted a form to cover their behinds but no NICS check. So if the a felon goes in to buy a BP gun all he has to do is lie on the form as no NICS check is performed based on what Enfield58 just experienced. But Cabelas can produce a document to show he lied on their. While it was horrible for the family of the guy that got shot I do not see how Cabelas is responsible and should have to pay anything in this crazy sue happy society we have. I love to be corrected when wrong so any inputs appreciated.

And lastly I am planning on selling some of my BP guns and was curious as to how Carbon6 performs his check when he sells a BP gun that the buyer is or is not a liability issue. I go through the FFL process for modern guns. I am only talking BP guns and just trying to be cautious and not obnoxious. Can only learn through asking questions of more experienced people then me.

Dave

Cabela's isn't anymore responsible for the murder with a gun fired by a customer than a hardware store is for a murder from the beating with a hammer caused by a customer.

Even if a NICS check is conducted, the merchant has no control over how the customer uses it after it leaves the store even if he or she has a clean record.

Using the rationale of holding Cabela's responsible for criminal mischief of merchandise that they sold makes as much sense as holding automobile manufacturers responsible for the actions of drunk drivers or speeders.

Unfortunately, common sense is a plant that doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

Does Ohio require a background check to purchase a muzzleloader? If Cabela's didn't do the required check then yes they would be liable. If they did do the required check and it came back clean, how would Cabela's be liable?
That's a lot of "What ifs", I'm not a lawyer, but Cabela's had the mean's to do a background check, and their action or inaction contributed to a death.

That's a lot of "What ifs", I'm not a lawyer, but Cabela's had the mean's to do a background check, and their action or inaction contributed to a death.

So if someone sold an automobile to another who used it commit vehicular homicide then the seller would also be responsible.

So if someone sold an automobile to another who used it commit vehicular homicide then the seller would also be responsible.
Well, automobiles aren't a prohibited item like firearms are, but if the person was blind or 7 years old then they might be responsible, as the sellers negligence would be obvious.

Well, automobiles aren't a prohibited item like firearms are, but if the person was blind or 7 years old then they might be responsible, as the sellers negligence would be obvious.

Prohibited? Really? The last time that I read the Constitution there was a little detail that you may have missed. It's called the 2nd Amendment.

Prohibited to violent felons.
How do you tell if somebody is a felon without a background check? Can you tell by looking at them? You can't do a NICS check on an item that doesn't require one. An example is, NY state wanted NICS checks done on every box of ammo purchased as part of Governor Cuomo's Safe Act. Ammo sellers tried to comply with the Safe Act and the Feds told the dealers to stop wasting their time. Per federal law it is not required and the Feds would not do the checks

Last edited:
When I sell a gun I make a concerted effort to make sure the person buying it isn't a liability risk.

Do you take said gun, muzzleloaders included, to an FFL dealer and have a NICS check and transfer done?

If not, then you are guilty of the same thing Cabelas is and according to your own standards "broke the law" and should be sued for contributing to any death caused by that firearm from here forward..

Do you take said gun, muzzleloaders included, to an FFL dealer and have a NICS check and transfer done?

If not, then you are guilty of the same thing Cabelas is and according to your own standards "broke the law" and should be sued for contributing to any death caused by that firearm from here forward..

I've never sold a muzzleloader, I have never sold any other gun to a prohibited felon. I'm also not in the business of selling firearms. So, I am "guilty" of nothing

I mostly mail order all my BP guns now. Not only Cabelas but I think the Rifle Shoppe and Handgonne.com is also closed down for the Virus. That is, they are not answering my messages and emails right now. On the other hand, Track of the Wolf has never shipped faster to me.

I mostly mail order all my BP guns now. Not only Cabelas but I think the Rifle Shoppe and Handgonne.com is also closed down for the Virus. That is, they are not answering my messages and emails right now. On the other hand, Track of the Wolf has never shipped faster to me.

I ordered a C&B revolver from DGW Thursday 4/9 at 2:48 AM. I received notice of shipping, with a tracking number for the USPS at 3:15 PM the same day. A little over 12 hours. The pistol was in my mailbox this morning. Now that's service.

Kudos to Dixie and the U.S. Postal Service, especially in these troubled times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back