• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet moulds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin sandwich

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?

Depending on your caliber you can buy back your investment pretty soon
Some ball sizes just aren’t found at wal mart, you can only get them from a supplier like Track of the wolf
Running ball is a chore, but so is shooting and cleaning. But it’s also a lot of fun
At a camp fire tuning three or four ball out of a ladle or at home from a pot, it is just fun

Last edited:
.690 ball from track run $19 for twenty five ball, about two pounds of lead
A Lee mould is $50, I all ready have a pot. So .$50 + 2,50 for a pound of lead for one hundred ball comes to $70
Track will sell me a hundred pre cast for $76
Not much of a saving
Next hundred cost me my time but only my lead cost $20, eight pounds of lead
My mould will never wear out, at least in my life time.
Smaller ball are not as expensive but there is a saving as soon as you buy back the mould

Why would anyone want to build a rifle when it’s so much easier to just buy one. Why woUlsan any one want to plant a garden when it’s so much easier to buy your groceries. Why build a house, fix an automobile, why drive across country. Maybe a little satisfaction in doing it yourself. For me the trip makes the destination worthwhile, regardless what I’m doing. I am not a young man but I do still like to learn.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?
You ought to 1st acquaint yourself with casting /economics/ lead suppliers (FREE /or ready made ingots (BHN) guaranteed/ mold /pot quality /and what your time is worth and lastly (most importantly) value when your frequently (out of stock) box of bullets are back ordered/not available or right up there with unicorn roast ! Put a price on that ,your gun becomes a tomato stake while I fill my pockets with more high quality cast bullets ! Ed

Where I live, there is not supplier of muzzle loader anything. I have to order everything online then pay shipping plus hazmat for my powder. Sooooo....... I make my own powder, scrounge up lead from old lead acid batteries, public ranges, my son in laws private range (backyard) and my own recovered lead. The time spent is tinkering time so it's enjoyable and relaxing, the lead is free and I can have ammo whenever I need it. It's not always about being easier, sometimes it's just about doing it.

You don’t have to buy lead. Finding free lead is akin to hunting squirrels or deer or any other game. Making what you need for this hobby is part of the fun. I’m not an accomplished gun builder or craftsman by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy making accoutrements almost as much as shooting. I have made (or assembled) a gun, powder, caps, flints, round balls, patching, lube, shooting bags, powder measures, horns, ball bags, short starters, ram rods, turn screws, vent picks, pan brushes, knives and some other odds and ends that I can’t recall right now.

Life is good.😉

I would point out that time is a funny thing. Unless you’re in government you don’t get paid for sitting at home watching tv.
So you’re not being paid while running ball at home, but you wouldn’t be paid if you weren’t running ball.
Now if I went in to work and worked an extra shift I could make more then a few ball would cost, but I’d rather have my day off playing.

Where I live, there is not supplier of muzzle loader anything. I have to order everything online then pay shipping plus hazmat for my powder. Sooooo....... I make my own powder, scrounge up lead from old lead acid batteries, public ranges, my son in laws private range (backyard) and my own recovered lead. The time spent is tinkering time so it's enjoyable and relaxing, the lead is free and I can have ammo whenever I need it. It's not always about being easier, sometimes it's just about doing it.
I do hope that was a typing error ,if not go on line and see exactly what poisons your working with ! Recycle batteries as their gases are extreme hazards ! No fooling !/Ed

I do hope that was a typing error ,if not go on line and see exactly what poisons your working with ! Recycle batteries as their gases are extreme hazards ! No fooling !/Ed
Well, I'm lucky enough to work at a steel mill and have access to a 3 million dollar baghouse and $20K smelter with forced exhaust..... It meets EPA emission regulations and I don't even have to be in there......I think I'm good.

*edit to add*
The acid is removed and neutralized in our hazmat reporting/disposal unit.

Well, I'm lucky enough to work at a steel mill and have access to a 3 million dollar baghouse and $20K smelter with forced exhaust..... It meets EPA emission regulations and I don't even have to be in there......I think I'm good.

*edit to add*
The acid is removed and neutralized in our hazmat reporting/disposal unit.
I would like to point out a little back ground on your method might have been in order as not everyone on this forum has that work access ! When you post a method for procuring lead here you most definitely get newbies /less informed folks who will get their new pot fired up and use said batteries as you stated previously with less than healthy issues /results . Just sayin /Ed

I would like to point out a little back ground on your method might have been in order as not everyone on this forum has that work access ! When you post a method for procuring lead here you most definitely get newbies /less informed folks who will get their new pot fired up and use said batteries as you stated previously with less than healthy issues /results . Just sayin /Ed
Duly noted.
I admit I did the assume thing thinking everyone knows better to just go melting old batteries down.

Try that with Civil War arms. You'll find that even if you buy lead at spot market price of $.92/lb you still come out way, way better casting your own. Not to mention that each gun "likes" bullets sized to it for best performance. So casting comes with the territory if you're serious about black powder.

I'd say my motivation is the same thing that motivates me to mess with antique firearms, or sew my own 18th century clothes.

If you normally fire into a backstop where you can recover your lead (as I do), you can keep firing the same lead indefinitely. I also get a kick out of finding free lead scrap (pipes, flashing, etc) and being able to cast new roundball from that.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box .

Easier, definitely. But it's not always about the difficulty, time, or cost.

Hobby: noun: a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation, plural: hobbies

I like using original molds to do things more historical. When you bought a rifle in the 18th century, the rifle maker also supplied you with a mould for your gun. I also have done public demonstrations showing how lead ball were made for your rifle. It is the satisfaction of moulding your own ball then hitting the bullseye with this ball that you made yourself. I have gotten my lead for free in the past from a plumber that pulled lead pipes from a house.
Ohio Rusty ><>
pipe lead.jpg
molds.JPG

Back