• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell.
20240311_155159.jpg
20240311_155219.jpg
20240311_155606.jpg
20240311_155333.jpg

That sucks big time,did you happen to call Midway and send pics? I've heard of them taking guns back if there is obvious issues.

The nicest best looking,and best shooting pistol I own is a 1861 Navy bought from Midway 4 or 5 years ago, bought a unfired S&W model 27-2,and I've never owned but I have been around several Colt Pythons from 60s and 70s and that uberti 61 Navy is as nice of not nicer then any of them. I guess just the luck of the draw but dang at the prices now days I don't think I'd chance a Midway gun anymore,hopefully you can talk to Midway and get resolved.

No offense- is that rust, or red grease?
That is straight up rust. Forgot to attach of pic of the barrel end, but it was quite rusty also. The gun was very dry except in nooks and crannies. Every other revolver i have ever purchased was slathered in oil inside of the plastic wrap. The 1862 Police Model I got from Midway some years back had the cylinder rusted in place, and the barrel was pitted. Took me 7 months to get my money back that time, but it did not end there. Since Midway had my debit card number, they took money out of my bank account without authorization of any kind, and issued me "Midway Bucks" in the amount of the refund I had previously been given. Yippee. Finally months later after many hours on the phone, I got those thieves to give me my money back. Should have learned my lesson, but was just hoping it was an isolated incident. Apparently not. I now use a pre-paid debit card for all on-line purchases, so I don't get "Midwayed" again.

Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040
That is terrible.

If it were me, I'd be on the phone demanding a return, if the operator plays the corporate 'no return' play line, I'd demand to talk to her boss, maybe even up to Larry Potterfield himself. No excuse for sending a buyer something in that condition if it is rust. As 'Sam' posted, sure it isn't red grease? I bought a new Pietta 44 US Marshall from EMF not long ago and there appeared to be rust in two of the cylinders. Called the California office as I didn't want to tear down and void any warranty. Guy at EMF advised to check if it was loose material as sometimes when the factory polish's the cylinders, they don't get all of the red rouge out. He advised to call back if rust. Checked, sure enough, dried red rouge material, cleaned up, cylinder was bright and shiny.

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040
Go directly to their Facebook page and post your story with pictures.

I recently purchased an Uberti 1858 Remington from Midway and thought I had the same issue with rust around the nipples. It was red grease. Still haven't fired it.

I've purchased other items from Midway lately and was sent a defective reloading item. I found a RMA in the box so I knew they shipped a returned defective item to me. Second time in a year with returning items to Midway. Wonder what's going on?

I got past Midways "no return policy" with a slew of angry emails and the final straw was when I threw it in their face they sold me an unsafe firearm.

I felt like a Karen pulling that move but I was steaming mad. I rarely get sour but when I feel screwed over I do get rather mean. (I did feel a little bad over how I acted on that pistol a few days later, but I got my money back.)

I then bought the same gun from Taylor for $20 more and it is a fine firearm. I have heard a number of times that Taylor doesn't get better guns than other retailers, that they get the same production runs, but I suspect that Taylor at least inspects them and sends back the bad apples. Midway does not pre-inspect their stock.

I got past Midways "no return policy" with a slew of angry emails and the final straw was when I threw it in their face they sold me an unsafe firearm.

I felt like a Karen pulling that move but I was steaming mad. I rarely get sour but when I feel screwed over I do get rather mean. (I did feel a little bad over how I acted on that pistol a few days later, but I got my money back.)

I then bought the same gun from Taylor for $20 more and it is a fine firearm. I have heard a number of times that Taylor doesn't get better guns than other retailers, that they get the same production runs, but I suspect that Taylor at least inspects them and sends back the bad apples. Midway

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and

If it were me, I'd be on the phone demanding a return, if the operator plays the corporate 'no return' play line, I'd demand to talk to her boss, maybe even up to Larry Potterfield himself. No excuse for sending a buyer something in that condition if it is rust. ....
Agreed with that advice. Totally unacceptable. I hope you paid with a credit card. That's your final resolution. Looks like you're documenting your case well in case you have to dispute.

I would also advise Midway if it were me of the amount of business I've given them since way back in the early 90's. I had to do that with a well-known online/walk-in retailer (similar to Midway) once on a defective product. The customer service gal on the phone I guess thought she was saving the business money by basically telling me to just accept the product. Advised her most everyone has a boss and I wanted to talk with hers. Put her boss on the phone, explained things in a courteous manner, and got the problem resolved.

This is not the first thread to to show and tell of the bad experiences with the Big Box online flea market vendors of guns. Since 2020, I've noticed everything in this beaten up country has gone to the extreme hades route. Not just guns, but every thing. I'm very fortunate that I have a very honest and dependable pawn shop where I live that can get about any shooter you want. If anything comes in a bad way, he gets right back in their manure. He does not sell manure and he will not accept manure from his suppliers. Buying from him is the very least of my worries in today's caustic world. I am blessed!!

Back