• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet moulds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turning dull gray scrap lead into shiny projectiles is a very satisfying and rewarding past time. In addition to the satisfaction of making your own projectiles every time you crack that mould open it's like you're dumping out dimes, quarters, half dollars or more depending on the bullet you're casting to boot. Just spent a few hours the other day casting .36 and .44 pure lead pistol balls balls and .429 pure linotype bullets in different weights for my other .44s :thumb:

IMG_20230831_110751_3.jpg

Simple economics is why I do it.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?

I think a lot depends on how much you actually shoot, how deeply you want to be involved in the hobby, and the ease or difficulty of acquiring lead. I have simple casting equipment and enjoy casting when I have time, but I’ll admit to shooting “store bought” balls, as well. Deer Creek Products sold a bunch of slightly oxidized balls in a size I needed at a very good price a little while back. If it’s a good deal, I don’t mind buying them.

Also, if you are experimenting with a new gun, you may want to try two or three different ball sizes. It doesn’t make sense to invest in moulds before you know for certain which size works best, so you buy the pre-made balls. Theoretically, you then buy the mould, and recast the balls you don’t expect to use. However, I usually just keep them. You never know when you or a friend might just need a few of those odd-sized balls.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I like using original molds to do things more historical. When you bought a rifle in the 18th century, the rifle maker also supplied you with a mould for your gun. I also have done public demonstrations showing how lead ball were made for your rifle. It is the satisfaction of moulding your own ball then hitting the bullseye with this ball that you made yourself. I have gotten my lead for free in the past from a plumber that pulled lead pipes from a house.
Ohio Rusty ><>View attachment 290671View attachment 290672
Putting those old moulds back to work doesn’t hurt them, and it really puts you in touch with the past, like shooting original guns. I was glad to see this post.

We demand perfection nowadays, but perfection was not always an option for people back in the day. Note the “out of round” balls in @Banjoman ’s photo. The original owner of that mould probably shot the balls it cast, and I doubt if he owned a micrometer.

Notchy Bob

My uncle, who grew up on the same farm I did, defined farming as "A whole lot of back busting hard work And No Money - Ever." We used a horse, plow, wagon etc. and didn't get a 50 y.o. tractor till I was a teen. My old man believed losing or throwing away something that could be reused, repaired, rebuilt, or repurposed was a sin worthy of a 3-foot, fresh, green limb and a quick aerobic workout.

When I saved enough money from cutting neighbor's lawns (after chores were done) and bought my first CVA rifle kit in the 7th grade, I also bought 5 lbs of pure lead. I've always built or improvised bullet traps and reused lead. Plus, I could sometimes find and dig out round balls after they passed through an animal and a foot or two of dirt. That 5 lbs of lead lasted through H.S. Now I've got hundreds of pounds and just enjoy casting, modifying and shooting several kinds of projectiles, both ML and modern. Each to his own : )

It is not about cost for me. It is about convivence and independence. IF I want a bullet or ball I make it. I do not shop, pay or wait. I can have it in an hour. I have molds for every thing I shoot. My cast bullets and balls are much higher quality than what is often sold.

I like using original molds to do things more historical. When you bought a rifle in the 18th century, the rifle maker also supplied you with a mould for your gun. I also have done public demonstrations showing how lead ball were made for your rifle. It is the satisfaction of moulding your own ball then hitting the bullseye with this ball that you made yourself. I have gotten my lead for free in the past from a plumber that pulled lead pipes from a house.
Ohio Rusty ><>View attachment 290671View attachment 290672
YUCK do you wash it before loading it ? /Ed

Living in CA, I've come to not trust the supply chain of anything firearms related. There have been too many years of empty ammo shelves. The more self-reliant I become for my shooting needs, the less likely I'll ever have to miss a season or be caught in a squeeze. And I never stress about the cost of shooting the way I do with centerfire. Every shot is pennies instead of dollars.

When I started out my TC rifle came with a starter kit. Pdr measure, short starter and a Lyman 490 mold with handles. I didn't know you coul buy balls. If you could, why would they include a mold? 🤣

I don't remember where I got the lead.

It's not a process that I particularly enjoy but it is interesting to learn the ins and outs of it and refine the end product. And, it is economical. My equipment is so basic that I could probably replace it for $85. I don't know what a box of 54 balls costs but I cast 100 for $2.50.

Love shooting black powder guns but ive always wondered why people want to mould theyre own ammo when its easier to just buy a box . There cant be that much savings considering the tools and time spent doing it . If people just like doing it i might be interested myself . Nothing like being self sufficient. But you still have to buy lead right ?
It depends on how much you shoot. I live in the mountains and have my own rifle range on my property. I shoot a lot, so I mold my own ML bullets and round ball, and I also reload all my own modern ammo out of 'FREE' wheel weights. I also mold bullets for my 45/70, 38sp, 357, 45lc, 9mm, 32/20, 30/30 gas checked and stuff for family members. If I didn't it would cost me a small fortune. If you only go to the range occasionally or go through a box every couple of years, off the shelf stuff is for you. Semper Fi.

I have a few tons of pure lead that I spent a lifetime gathering. But molds are good forever but i wanted to design my own bullets for my unmentionables. I decided to make my own molds, cost $45 for two cast iron risers from a foundry. I made the vise to close to center, cut cherries for bullets and make my own molds from scrap aircraft aluminum I aquired when working for the airlines. They were going to toss a huge block.
The only ones I can't make are RB molds since I lack the tools. Lee makes RB molds so good I use them.

Why would I want to cast my own balls? For one, I enjoy it. It's fun to cast lead over a campfire when there's nothing else going on. I enjoy turning old deep sea fishing sinkers into ammo. And I got a lot of old sinkers. Secondly, I like being able to have ammunition when I need it. I don't know where you are, but I haven't seen balls at any of my local Walmart stores in years. The only store near me that sells them, want close to $20 for 100 .530 balls. That's when they have them. They don't always.

Every activity is a slave to something. In our case it's lead. There's no getting around that. Lead is still easy to come by. Rotometals.com sells as much as you can afford.

I keep a small stockpile of lead just in case our fine Government decides to ban sale of it. Well, they can't ban what I already own. When you can't "just go out and buy a box" then you will understand why most of us do it.

So do I, the best find I had was way back in the mid '80s when our local telephone co. was up dating all their junction boxes which were lined with sheet pure lead. I asked how much for the old lead and the mgr said bring your truck over to their shop and 400 pounds of lead followed me home at the cost of a dozen doughnuts.

Latest posts

Back