• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rmartin77_99 said:
I forgot to mention that Ballistol is based on NSF H1 oil. I purchased a gallon several years ago from a Hobart Distributor.

Ballistol ingredients:

pharmaceutical white oil: CAS RN 8042-47-5
Oleic acid: CAS RN 112-80-1
C-5 alcohols: CAS RN 78-83-1; CAS RN 137-32-6; CAS RN 100-51-6
different essential oils to perfume Ballistol

If i had horses like you, I would leave my whole hunting outfit in the barn.. and get dressed out there or drag it up from the barn and put it on in the garage. When I was a kid, I used to put my Hunting gear in my Dads barn, I used the calves scent that he was raising as a cover. (I still do somthing similair to this day). I'd go and get it every morning and put it on in the garage...might laugh..but with 15+ big bucks to my name, I KNOW it worked for me!

akapennypincher said:
Penny Pincher's Bore Butter Recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb Natural bees wax
approx. 4 lbs Olive oil
about 2 teaspoons yellow food color (varies)
1/2 oz. Wintergreen oil
Procedure:
1. melt the 1 lb of bees wax in a thick pot slowly in about 2 or 3 lbs of oil. Remove from heat and let it get solid. I pour it into a microwaveable container.
2. Test poke with your finger. If your finger hurts, add oil.
3. Nuke for about 2 or 3 minutes or until it all melts, and stir. Let it get solid again. Go to #2 again until your finger doesn't hurt-- about 4 lbs. of olive oil.
4. Let it cool and pour into small 1/2 lb. containers. Makes about 5-6 lbs. depending on how loose you want your Bore Butter.
NOTES: I have used Oil of Orange, oil of lemon, oil of spearmint and Maple flavor. I have also used Red. Shooters like it best when it looks and smells like Wintergreen, Maple flavor doesn't work because it is water based. Must be oil based flavor to work well. (1# of olive oil = 16oz)
How can this be a poor mans bore butter when the ingrediants you list cost more than a couple of tubes of Bore Butter? And have you factored in your time and gas cost, and cost of storage containers?

Based on my digging on the web the home made stuff and Bore butter come out about even on prices.

If regular vegetable were substituted for the olive oil the home made stuff could be cheaper.

Zonie said:
Based on my digging on the web the home made stuff and Bore butter come out about even on prices.

If regular vegetable were substituted for the olive oil the home made stuff could be cheaper.

True, but then your salad would suffer.

Plus it's a whole lot easier to just pick up a tube of Bore Butter than it is to cook it up.

Well, I like Bore Butter. That said, I've used several types and they all seem to work about as well. I finally got tired of having them all around, and my tube split anyhow, so I just melted everything (mostly Bore Butter and Hogdons' Pyrodex Lube) together and that works too!

Main thing I found is lube well, but not too much, and clean at least every 3rd shot. Sometimes I lube every other one with TC 13 or Butch's Bore Shine, and that werks to clean AND to lube.

I've used spit, but I can only do that so much for so long, so I lube.

Dan

Capper said:
Butch's is petroleum based. Not the hot tip to use with BP.
Thx fer th' tip Cap. Not too spoiled for choice 'round here ... maybe I'll put a bug in someones ear- threaten to order online or sumthin'.

Dan

Capper said:

Hey Cap, I couldn't find any references saying whether Butch's is petroleum based or not- either on the bottle or on their website, or on supliers sites. Where did you find this info?

Just asking because I want to experiment using different cleaners as dry patch lubes.

Dan

Fly said:
How many of you guy's use TC Bore Butter.I have
been using it for about 6 months & really like
it.It seem to work really good in my cap & ball
revolvers, & pretty good over all in my front
loaders as well.

Whats your thoughts?
Fly :hmm:

I make my own. 60:40 olive oil and beeswax. Works as good or better and smells better IMO. Makes great patch lube, wad lube, and chamber sealer on C&B.

HD

DanC said:
Capper said:

Hey Cap, I couldn't find any references saying whether Butch's is petroleum based or not- either on the bottle or on their website, or on supliers sites. Where did you find this info?

Just asking because I want to experiment using different cleaners as dry patch lubes.

Dan

I'm looking at the bottle right now. First ingredient is....petroleum naphtha.

Capper said:

Thanx Pete.

They make a Bore Shine for smokeless, and one for black powder. Does yours say "Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine"? My bottle says specifically for black powder, but doesn't list ingredients, nor say if it is non petroleum. Just says it's "odorless, non-toxic, non flamable and biodegradable", and lists a whole bunch of reasons it is superior for cleaning black powder firearms.

I did shoot them a message asking if it is petroleum based, and if there is any reason not to use it as a patch lube. But, being the weekend, I don't expect a reply for a few days.

Dan

Huntin Dawg said:
I make my own. 60:40 olive oil and beeswax. Works as good or better and smells better IMO.

I been speermentin' with different olive oil and Burt's Bees Hand Salve for when usin' the tallow hole. A bit expensive, but definately smells better! And a whole lot heavier on th' "Bees" than th' olive oil for this application.

Dan

DanC said:
Capper said:

Thanx Pete.

They make a Bore Shine for smokeless, and one for black powder. Does yours say "Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine"? My bottle says specifically for black powder, but doesn't list ingredients, nor say if it is non petroleum. Just says it's "odorless, non-toxic, non flamable and biodegradable", and lists a whole bunch of reasons it is superior for cleaning black powder firearms.

I did shoot them a message asking if it is petroleum based, and if there is any reason not to use it as a patch lube. But, being the weekend, I don't expect a reply for a few days.

Dan

Ok, I didn't know that. So, it's like Hoppe's. You should be fine if you have the BP version.

I have the smokeless version on purpose. I've been known to shoot that funny powder too. :wink:

Capper said:
Ok, I didn't know that. So, it's like Hoppe's. You should be fine if you have the BP version.

I have the smokeless version on purpose. I've been known to shoot that funny powder too. :wink:
Hopes #9, baby! Got some of that that too, and have been known to scrub th' bore of my front loader with it after geting lead fouling using conicals.

As to th' Butch's, it's a good cleaner, so I won't waste it. But I'm lern'n not t' assume just becos it says "black powder". Until I hear back from th' manufacturer, I think I'll treat it as petroleum based, becos it does not say it's not on th' bottle.

Be nice if it'd werk tho, as they already carry it. And it does slick up a dry patch some.

Dan

Latest posts

Back