• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you pay attention to the wind, it matters not what you or your lube smells like.....

Ya but......... The wind on my farm, in my Ohio woods, changes direction throughout the day as it meanders it's way through the trees.I don't hunt from a tree stand or a Texas condo with a kitchen overlooking 20 deer at a time coming around to check out the guy wearing aqua velva shaving lotion.I am sure you all seen that test.I hate to hunt out of a tree stand and I prefer to still hunt.For me,the only option is to,like you say,play the wind,and do anything I can to try and even the playing field the best I can.Nobody can mask their human scent 100% but one can try and why take even man made odors to the woods if you don't have to?Not hunting with bore butter is just my take simply because I can smell it from yards away myself.I try to wipe all oil from my rifle and mask my odor the best I can,I even rub dirt on my face and clothes,just something that I picked up from being a sniper in Vietnam.And I don't buy those $300.00 charcoal filled hunting clothes that most think they should have to make meat.And smoke a cigarette? No way,a VC or deer can pick up that smell from a mile away in the jungle or woods,not to mention that it causes cancer.Now,I do use bore butter from time to time because it is just handy since I have so much of it and it does a good job for a lube patch only for me,barricade for the rust preventative though.I just prefer something else for the woods environment,but that is just me.Our Ohio deer are just to darn smart.The OP was asking what we thought about using bore butter and we gave our opinion but then when it came up about deer smelling it then all the hunting lessons came out.I apologize to the OP for that because I am as much to blame for just mentioning that I don't like to use it for hunting. :v

"and NEVER smoking"

Funny how things are different or percieved to be the Deer and Elk around here will play around and appear to nibble on charcoal in the burnt over logged off areas and there ia always a strong smell of deisel/fuel around the landings which carries for miles yet for as long as I can recall we have shot Deer and Elk on ground that was burnt only a few days earlier, From what I have seen the scent thing is over emphasized, I am more wary of their eyes and ears this has been argued to H%(( and back but that is just what I see and we did not hasve all the high tech anti smell "whatchamacallits" and the super "ain'tgonnaseeyacamowhateverit'scalled" in the 60's but still took nice animals, just thoights from someone what managed to do without the stuff that seems to be needed now :idunno:

FYI: The average adult exhales approximately 100 gallons of hot, stinky human breath per hour...constantly streaming downwind...we never even see the deer that might be approaching from that direction

I've been using it for several years and I like the stuff. I use it as a patch lube, sometimes a conical bullet lube and I do use it inside the bores of my MLs after cleaning, no problems. That being said, I'll try one of the recipes from these guys sometime too. :hmm:

Penny Pincher's Bore Butter Recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb Natural bees wax
approx. 4 lbs Olive oil
about 2 teaspoons yellow food color (varies)
1/2 oz. Wintergreen oil
Procedure:
1. melt the 1 lb of bees wax in a thick pot slowly in about 2 or 3 lbs of oil. Remove from heat and let it get solid. I pour it into a microwaveable container.
2. Test poke with your finger. If your finger hurts, add oil.
3. Nuke for about 2 or 3 minutes or until it all melts, and stir. Let it get solid again. Go to #2 again until your finger doesn't hurt-- about 4 lbs. of olive oil.
4. Let it cool and pour into small 1/2 lb. containers. Makes about 5-6 lbs. depending on how loose you want your Bore Butter.
NOTES: I have used Oil of Orange, oil of lemon, oil of spearmint and Maple flavor. I have also used Red. Shooters like it best when it looks and smells like Wintergreen, Maple flavor doesn't work because it is water based. Must be oil based flavor to work well. (1# of olive oil = 16oz)

Last year early morning early deer season
I had a deer charge out of the brush run right up to me and stuck his nose on the end of my long rifle and take a deep breath .looked up at me not really sure what i was ,then one lick on the the end of my rifle ,snort then he just walked off like he was on a sunday strool.
I wanted to shoot him so bad
But alass it was doe only season
Damn my luck
Now I find my spot in the woods and smear alittle bore butter on the trees around me
Worked once so far ... Bang! Deer meat for the table!
Deutsch

akapennypincher said: "2. Test poke with your finger. If your finger hurts, add oil.
3. Nuke for about 2 or 3 minutes or until it all melts, and stir. Let it get solid again. Go to #2 again until your finger doesn't hurt-- about 4 lbs. of olive oil." Why in the THUNDER would I wanna hurt my finger?... :blah:

roundball said:
FYI: The average adult exhales approximately 100 gallons of hot, stinky human breath per hour...constantly streaming downwind...we never even see the deer that might be approaching from that direction

Which is why I always chew on a piece of sassafrass root or apples while standing in a pile of fresh horse manure while deer hunting!In our area the deer are used to horses and people together and they like apples and sassafrass buds to nibble on.

ohio ramrod said:
roundball said:

Which is why I always chew on a piece of sassafrass root or apples while standing in a pile of fresh horse manure while deer hunting!In our area the deer are used to horses and people together and they like apples and sassafrass buds to nibble on.

One could eat a persimmon as well for the breath. Around here, I never see deer dung without persimmon seeds in it.

I usually eat an apple and a half just before a hunt, smearing the other half of the second apple on my clothes and shoe soles. I throw the cores in the open field in front of me.

I'm not too sure about the horse manure though! :haha: I guess if it works....

Apples don't work here, the deer don't know what they are. But I used to find a fresh pile of elk dung and step in it, then use my shoes to smear it all over my pants leg.
And here you can't normally hunt the wind, 'cause it swirls in the mountains. But two things you can bank on if it's not windy-air currents will go uphill in the morning, and down in the evening.
Man, I'm giving away my secrets!! :(

Oh yes,a walk through the barn is the first thing I do on the way to the woods.Our horses and my wife and I have been all over the place around here.We've rode right up on deer,in fact,we rode right up on a buck mating with a doe during rut.Now that was a sight to see when rounding the bend.

I have tried Bore Butter recently but do not like it. I have used H1 food processor oil for a long time. This is a mineral oil that is used by the food processing industry to lubricate the food slicers and other equipment. It is FDA approved because it may come in contact with food. If you Google H1 oil you will find several sites with information about it's properties.

I forgot to mention that Ballistol is based on NSF H1 oil. I purchased a gallon several years ago from a Hobart Distributor.

Back