• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Travel and hunting Bears in BC, Canada from Aussie.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G’day guys,

Kinda new here and I drop in and out but I’m after some information, firstly on the regulations of traveling into Canada (Vancouver) with a muzzle loader via a flight. Then hunting bears if I do in fact decide to go through the hoops etc that I am expecting from Canadian authorities.

At this stage I’m fly into Vancouver in June to hunt bears with an outfitter that I have hunted with in the past. That was with a bow, but seeing as my shoulders are not in the best of shape this year the guide and outfitter asked if I was interested in hunting with a muzzle loader as I hunt here in Aussie with one from time to time and he is aware of this.

I’m sure my outfitter will be able to help out here and be all over the rules and regulations but I thought I’d also be well informed so as not to inadvertently get into trouble and as far as I know, Canada also considers muzzle loaders a weapon that needs to be regulated etc, like here in Aussie.

I would need to arrange for some BP to be available to be purchased when in BC as I would not be able to fly with BP. How readily available is BP in BC and as a non resident can I purchase some? Same same with caps?

My plan was to pull apart my rifle, wrapping it up well and and just traveling with it and a few round balls that I know it likes and then all I will need is the BP and caps.

Naturally I’d declare that I am traveling with a rifle when entering customs.

My other questions would be how has hunted black bears with a 50 cal Hawkins rifle and would round balls be OK?

Cheers from Aussie and chat soon,

J2K

Flintlock long guns are considered antiques and not firearms under the Canada Firearms Code. Your percussion will be considered a firearm so there will be a healthy dose of forms to fill out. Blackpowder is easy to purchase, it is regulated by our Department of Mines and Forests. I don’t even present ID but if you look under 18 they may ask for it.

I would get your outfitter to get some black powder for you, so you will know you have some before you leave.
I second this. I'm in alberta next door and caps and powder are non existent. Cabela's has had some pyrodex now and then, and there is a fellow in Edmonton from the Alberta Black Powder shooters association that brings in quantities of Schutzen. About 6 months ago some caps showed up at Cabela's and they sold out in 6 hours. That's the only caps I've seen in several years.
Definitely see if your outfitter can source powder and caps ahead of time.

Rustywood is located in Mission, not a real far drive in terms of distance. Currently showing Schuetzen and some Swiss in stock as well as Pyrodex. And some caps.

BUT.....it appears you must produce the Canadian Possession and Acquisition License to purchase. With that information; perhaps your outfitter can assist.

Latest posts

Back