• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST CALIBER TO HUNT DEER W/ FLINTLOCK RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@smo, that's a great way to haul out a deer!!

Tom

IMG-2359.jpg

Shooting them in your trail helps too….😎

What is the groups opinion on the best caliber to hunt deer with using a flintlock rifle.? I am considering .45 .50 and .54.....

already have a .50 so i am leaning that direction since i have all the balls already.....

Thoughts?
Nothing wrong with a 50 cal for deer.

For whitetail even a 40 works for me, but western mule deer..a 45 at minimum. 50 is very good but I am able to hunt deer when elk hunting here in Wy... 54 is ideal. Knocks them down for the count, My fowler in 62 cal would be better but I can't shoot as far,, and when you are looking to take either a mule deer or an elk, I need the extra range that the rear sight is needed.

I can't say what is best but for me it was a .45 flintlock that did it's job with one shot each. I also used the .50, .54 amd .62 and found they did nothing my .45 can't do.

Options, .45, .50, .54, .58, and .62. I would throw out .45 and .62 out of the mix; .45 for me although legal it is kind of light and the .62 because of the ball options (not a standard caliber available in most box stores). I really like the .50, ,54, and .58, you can get factory (Hornady and Speer) quality lead round balls and maxie style as well in .50 and I think .54.

So many muzzleloading options, especially in the .50 and .54 calibers. I have shot .50, .54 and .62 calibers; and am leaning now toward .54 as probably the best option. With a .50 or .54 you get a number of ball diameter choices to find what works best with you barrel. The thing I like about factory lead round balls is ease to buy, allows me to have plenty with no fuss, so I practice more.

As an Eastern hunter, Pennsylvania, the game here is primarily Whitetail deer. Right now I shoot a .54 with no issues. More then enough for the size whitetails we have here.

So I would base your choice on three things:
1. What type of deer do you have where you want to hunt? Larger whitetails will call for a larger caliber.
2. Ball availability, stick to .50, .54 or .58. But I feel the .54 may be the best all round choice.
3. What fancy's you in muzzleloader? Long Rifle, Plains Rifle, percussion, flint? Because if you don't like the muzzleloader you buy you will not shoot it. And if you don't shoot it, you can't become proficient with it. Shot placement.

Are we really still entertaining this question and others like it? Seriously?
It can't be answered.
What's the best running shoe, the best brand truck, the best tire, the best sandwich, the best longbow or recurve bow, best fishing rod, best lure or fly?????

The best caliber muzzleloader for deer is the one you have a good load dialed in for and is in your hands when a deer comes within range.

Ive taken deer with 45s an 54s and they do a good job but here in my neck of the wood the thickets are THICK an if one does not drop on the spot you need a good blood trail. Big holes equal bigger blood flow which makes for a better more visible blood trail to follow. Im a 62 cal fan not for the power but for the size hole not to mention you get 2 big leaking holes. Entry and exit.

Whatever you have the balls for. There, I went there, stuck at work doing a 13hr shift on my day off, need a little childish giggle. Truthfully it's whatever you would like to do, any of the 3 you mentioned would easily do the job. If you want a new gun and don't mind having more than 1 size ball laying around, I personally like to juggle many balls (yep, did that too) then buy a different caliber, if not then stick with the .50, it's plenty adequate.

Well they’re dead with a .40 and you can eat tge neat, they’re a little deader with a .45 and your wife will eat the meat. With a .50they’re really dead and even your most picky kids will eat it.
A .54 makes them so dead there is a moment of silence in the forest when they go down, and your friends at work will try your home made jerky and some will like it.
A .58 makes then so dead flags are flown at half staff and Twitter will try to get you kicked off.
Martha Stewart Will personally call you to give you recipes to cook it. A .62 will make tgen so dead the Chi-coms will protest in the UN, and David Ramsey will ask if he can come over to dinner. A .75 will make them the deadliest and tge angles in heaven will weep for the deer and vegans will want some.

What is the groups opinion on the best caliber to hunt deer with using a flintlock rifle.? I am considering .45 .50 and .54.....

already have a .50 so i am leaning that direction since i have all the balls already.....

Thoughts?
The one you shoot well. Alternatively, since a sphere (roundball) will give the lightest weight by diameter, then the larger the bore, the more mass you throw and so it will be the most effective if shot well. Piles of deer have been killed with smaller bores but bigger bore = more power = larger wound = less tracking. I have a .45 that has killed deer and a .62 that does it better. My .58s do a great job too. The best kill is when it drops to the shot and stays there. Less fear and pain for the deer, less tracking for me.

That's the truth. Especially so if your barrel is 1:48, like many of Sam Hawken's guns. Just not sure they had "bullets" then.
Almost all American rifles were 1/48th then. Conicals got in to colts just before the war. Muzzleloading conical rifles for civilians didn’t become popular until after the late unpleasantness with the north.
During the flint lock era there had been some experimental play with bullet shapes but conical really wasn’t a flint lock thing.
Today shoot what work and you want.

Back