• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BEST CALIBER TO HUNT DEER W/ FLINTLOCK RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
What is the groups opinion on the best caliber to hunt deer with using a flintlock rifle.? I am considering .45 .50 and .54.....

already have a .50 so i am leaning that direction since i have all the balls already.....

Thoughts?

No different than what you would prefer in a percussion...excepting for both, what you shoot best. Only exception would be that my opinion is that for bigger northern deer, a .45 may be legal and work, but I sure would prefer a .50 or .54. I have a.54 and .58 flinter. They shoot generally equally well, so I am totally impartial to which to use. I have a .45 awaiting completion. I do not anticipate using that for deer here in northern NY.
You have a .50. I have used one a number of times and have had clean kills with all. Become proficient at your hunting ranges, and you will make meat.

I started with a .45 in 1975, worked ok for about 15 years, then I had a black bear walk up on my on one of our farms in eastern NC...

When that happened, I went directly to a .54, have never regretted it!! I had Ed Rayle rebarrel the .45 to a .40 and it became my squirrel gun...

Love my .54

650929FB-5F68-479A-8B6E-2A896A24D39A.jpeg

All 3 of those calibers will certainly do the killing job. I am going to ask you a ?. What do you really want deep down for whatever your reason ? Then get it n be happy. What i like is not what you may like. Did i help with advice yes i did, but the choice is still yours.

If I was ONLY going to hunt deer I'd be happy with the 50. But, it's usually deer and elk so it's then a 54 since the 54 is needed for a legal round ball gun.

What is the groups opinion on the best caliber to hunt deer with using a flintlock rifle.? I am considering .45 .50 and .54.....

already have a .50 so i am leaning that direction since i have all the balls already.....

Thoughts?

Well it's an accuracy thing, and a speed at impact. A .58 is terrible on deer, if the ball or bullet doesn't fly straight. A .36 isn't legal for deer in just about any state, but with a .36 Maxi-ball of 125 grains, it would work fine... of course depending on how much MV it had when launched.

I've taken all of my deer with a .54, but when I was looking for a rifle I would've bought what I currently own, had it been in a .50 or a .45. I also own a .50, a .45 and a .40.

LD

I have hunted them with calibers ranging from 45-58. They all have worked well at my typical woodland/whitetail ranges. If I had to pick just one… I would go likely with my 50cal which I have hunted with the most over the past five decades.

Be careful getting your stock anywhere near your kitchen.

The urge to use butter as a wood finish may prove irresistible.

Without a doubt, a 54-caliber!

It is lighter than a 50-caliber of same otherwise configuration and it packs more wallop.

With a swamped barrel in a 38” barrel, you won’t find anything more handy!
Bingo!

if you are going to carry it more than shoot it, yes.
many believe the .54 is the best compromise between speed and weight, as well as ft pounds and recoil.
Ive only shot deer with a fifty so I do not know personally.

Latest posts

Back