• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024 Turkey Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkey hunting ranks up there with elk for me. I have some big plans for gobblers in the future, they just won’t be this year.

My Kibler colonial seems to do the trick

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpeg
    IMG_5794.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
I only hunt turkeys with a flintlock. My state (PA) has always allowed flintlock rifles in the fall, but only fowler/shotgun in the spring. Assuming I go (I've killed a pile of them and don't hunt spring birds much anymore), I'll be using a 20 gauge flintlock fowler that I built.

If you’re planning to hunt Nebraska, nonresident tags went on sale 1/8/2024. They only allot 10,000 and will sell out. I’m hunting out there this spring and got my tags on the eighth. Have fun!
Are there some decent public DIY opportunities out west in Nebraska? 1200 tags available this morning

We have both Fall and Spring turkey here in Florida.

Unfortunately, I got to spend the 2 week muzzle loader season dealing with covid and recovering.... But I scored a bird about an hour into opening day of general gun (using my trusty Mossberg 500). Had planned on hunting during ML season with either my 54 and a light round ball load (30gr powder) or an in-line bastardization of a single shot pawn shop shotgun converted to BP use.

Spring season has no ML season or requirement, but I've recently discovered how nicely my 20ga O/U patterns 1oz #5 loads, so that will be with me in the blind come March 16 :)

Have a second sub-$100 CVA percussion rifle on the way, so now I'm thinking about figuring out if it would be worth it to drill the rifling out of my 54 to make a .58 or 20ga smoothie.... while my wanter wants it, my higher thought processes are question cost, usefulness and such....

Pennsylvania changed their gun regulations for fall turkey hunting and only allow shotguns and smoothbore muzzleloaders along with archery equipment. No more rifles or rifled muzzleloaders.

Been seeing lots of birds while deer hunting in South Texas. Groups of 30,40,50 or more. Jakes are strutting and fighting with others a lot. Hopefully they are still here in my pasture come match. I use to love hunting them in the spring ewith archery or shotgun. I just started muzzle loading and only have guns that shoot round ball. I believe anything is legal here to use in the spring. Maybe I'll use the .40 cal Garner flintlock.

Pennsylvania changed their gun regulations for fall turkey hunting and only allow shotguns and smoothbore muzzleloaders along with archery equipment. No more rifles or rifled muzzleloaders.
My guess would be that was to stop hunters who might be deer hunting take a turkey out of convenience and simply blow it up with their deer rifle.

My guess would be that was to stop hunters who might be deer hunting take a turkey out of convenience and simply blow it up with their deer rifle.
Since people often wear full camo while turkey hunting, there is a number of accidents that have happened during turkey season. The accidents that have occurred with rifles have been much worse than those with shotguns.

Since people often wear full camo while turkey hunting, there is a number of accidents that have happened during turkey season. The accidents that have occurred with rifles have been much worse than those with shotguns.
This makes a lot of sense, but I certainly hope it was a preventative measure and someone was not shot with a rifle mistakenly for a turkey!

Latest posts

Back