• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024 Turkey Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a few lucky people that may still have their deer season or others open, but up here in the great north woods everything is closed. Our next season to look forward to is Turkey season which opens the beginning of May. I have not made a decision yet as to which gun I am going to use this year. Half the fun of any hunt is the planning and the anticipation. I have been hunting for over 50 years, and it is still just as exciting. Anyone else planning on Turkey hunting this spring? What gun, caliber, load etc are you thinking of using? Have you taken a Turkey with a Muzzleloader before?

I know there are a few lucky people that may still have their deer season or others open, but up here in the great north woods everything is closed. Our next season to look forward to is Turkey season which opens the beginning of May. I have not made a decision yet as to which gun I am going to use this year. Half the fun of any hunt is the planning and the anticipation. I have been hunting for over 50 years, and it is still just as exciting. Anyone else planning on Turkey hunting this spring? What gun, caliber, load etc are you thinking of using? Have you taken a Turkey with a Muzzleloader before?
Turkey hunting has always been a real favorite of mine. There is something special about chasing those ol Toms around the mountains. A gobbling Tom always gets the blood flowing, at least for me. I’ve been outsmarted by a Turkey more than I would like to admit. However, I’ve been blessed to outsmart just as many.

I’d like to have a smooth barrel muzzleloading shotgun, but all I have are the unmentionable shotguns. Maybe one day I’ll find one and and get after some birds. That’s something I’d like to do before I can no longer traverse these hills and hollers.

Hopefully, we can keep this thread rolling on through the season.

Anthony

Turkey hunting has always been a real favorite of mine. There is something special about chasing those ol Toms around the mountains. A gobbling Tom always gets the blood flowing, at least for me. I’ve been outsmarted by a Turkey more than I would like to admit. However, I’ve been blessed to outsmart just as many.

I’d like to have a smooth barrel muzzleloading shotgun, but all I have are the unmentionable shotguns. Maybe one day I’ll find one and and get after some birds. That’s something I’d like to do before I can no longer traverse these hills and hollers.

Hopefully, we can keep this thread rolling on through the season.

Anthony
It has been a favorite of mine also, I love the interaction with the birds. I hope you end up getting a shotgun. I took one back in the 80's with a beretta o/u and I have mainly used a bow since then. But this year it's time to bring the muzzleloader back.

I would be nice to keep the thread going and hear what everyone is using then getting to see some successful photos!

I see your in Tennessee, I will be there at the end of the month for the SCI convention in Nashville.

It has been a favorite of mine also, I love the interaction with the birds. I hope you end up getting a shotgun. I took one back in the 80's with a beretta o/u and I have mainly used a bow since then. But this year it's time to bring the muzzleloader back.

I would be nice to keep the thread going and hear what everyone is using then getting to see some successful photos!

I see your in Tennessee, I will be there at the end of the month for the SCI convention in Nashville.
I’ll be down there that same weekend, but not for the sci convention. My wife and I are going to take in a concert down at the Bridgestone arena. I hope to make a long weekend or day trip to the NWTF a few weeks after. That’s always the same week or weekend of my wife’s birthday. She’s not always keen on hearing turkey calls for her birthday gift. Maybe I can sweet talk her. I’ll work on it and keep yall posted.

Anthony

I’ll be down there that same weekend, but not for the sci convention. My wife and I are going to take in a concert down at the Bridgestone arena. I hope to make a long weekend or day trip to the NWTF a few weeks after. That’s always the same week or weekend of my wife’s birthday. She’s not always keen on hearing turkey calls for her birthday gift. Maybe I can sweet talk her. I’ll work on it and keep yall posted.

Anthony
It's my first time to Nashville, My wife has been there before. We are planning on having a good time for a few days. SCI is always a blast.

TVM Fowler, is that one a 20GA flintlock? I am not familiar with Skychief loads.
Yes it is, I wasn’t either until a few days ago, there’s sticky on them around here somewhere, think it was in the hunting forum. Between bouncing around in the states and overseas the last couple years really didn’t have the time for black powder. Moved home think I might make everything I do this year flintlock only, outside of vermin maybe.

It's my first time to Nashville, My wife has been there before. We are planning on having a good time for a few days. SCI is always a blast.
You’ll like it. There will be lots to take in. So, hopefully that will not be your last time. I live about four hours to the east. If you are familiar with drag racing, I’m not far from Bristol Motor Speedway. We typically make the trek to Nashville at least 4-5 times a year.

Anthony

I’m planning to use my 20ga fowler this spring. Currently trying out different loading methods. Turkey hunting has to be one of my favorite things to do. Calling a gobbler into gun range is as exciting as it gets!!

I’m planning to use my 20ga fowler this spring. Currently trying out different loading methods. Turkey hunting has to be one of my favorite things to do. Calling a gobbler into gun range is as exciting as it gets!!
I am considering using my 20Ga flintlock this year also. I have not made that decision yet and waiting till things get closer to the season to get to the range and see which one is making me happy this year. Please keep us up to date as to what you are finding as a load you like and is working well for you.

Hopefully I will get to take my .62 caliber Chambers smooth rifle turkey hunting this year. The load will be 65 grains of 2f and about 65 grains or little better of #6 shot.

Will be using my New Englander 12 gauge, 3F Schuetzen, #4 shot, and of course the Skychief load. Hopefully I can get into them this spring. Numbers have been down the last few years in PA. Hopefully there is still snow on the ground next week, going to squirrel hunt some and look for turkey tracks while I'm at it. Best of luck to you fellas.

In 2024 I’ll be hunting near home with my T/C New Englander 12 gauge. The year after that I’m hoping the Kibler fowler will be ready!

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 0
In 2024 I’ll be hunting near home with my T/C New Englander 12 gauge. The year after that I’m hoping the Kibler fowler will be ready!
Now that's a handsome shotgun. Have one just like it. Is yours cylinder bore, or chokes? What shot size and powder are you running? Only asking because I've only tried 3F and #4's. Good pattern to about 30 yards with Skychief load.

This gun is a cylinder bore too. So far, my best load is with 2F and #6 shot, using the Skychief system. I can’t quite stretch to 30 yards, but almost.
I haven't had it very long. When I first got it, I had more 3f than 2f. Messed around with different loads with #6's. Got pretty good at knocking squirrels out of the tree tops when the leaves were still up. So I stuck with the 3F, and picked up some #4's . Thirty is the furthest I have tried patterning it.

i took a video of 5 gobblers struting with a bunch of hens, and i cannot upload this video

Latest posts

Back