• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave Powder Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a replica Zouave flask with a 75-grain charger. I use FFG powder. The valve assembly works fine, but the powder seems to pour slowly. The more full the flask is, the slower the pour rate. Mabey a vacuum ? Any ideas to speed up the flow? Thanks.

My method of pouring powder out of my flasks consists of putting my index finger over the end of the spout, inverting the flask so its spout is pointing down, pushing the gate lever open with my thumb and holding it that way while I rapidly shake the flask back and forth 5-10 times. It only takes a few seconds.
Then after releasing the gate lever, I'm ready to pour the powder into my brass measure.

Most of us old timers all agree you don't want to pour the powder directly out of the flask measuring spout directly into the gun barrel.
I've never had it happen, but it would only take once for a glowing ember in the barrel to set off the new powder charge directly into the flask.
Now that would ruin your day , Ah says. ::

Good point Zonie, it's just like pouring powder from the horn into the muzzle. Seems like I heard about someone blowing up his horn and hand that way and as I said, there's very little difference between a flask and a horn especially when the flask valve is not perfectly tight.
Tom Patton :m2c:

Thanks for the shaking tip. That should help. I DO pour the powder from the flask into a seperate measurer, as you suggested. I agree it is only marginally better than an open horn. I was thinking of drilling a tiny hole in the bottom of the flask to relieve the vacuum. But that would allow moisture in among other non-safe factors. Mabey I will try widening the flask spout on the threaded end? Thanks again for the shaking tip.

I have used Zonie's shaking method for 20+ years. Works well. Had a friend show me how easy it was to blow a horn or flask. I always pour into another measure. Don't put another hole in the flask. It is not a vacuum problem. Some powders just don't flow. So shake it! Trying to enlarge the hole in the flask may not do any good either. So shake it! Good luck.

Back