• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zonie ? (Investarms SPA)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E Poffinbarger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Zonie:
I noticed on another post that you have one of them gun value books on muzzleloaders.

Though no doubt somewhat sparce, if I could impose; what is the printed wisdom on Investarms SPA muzzleloaders.

I sent them an email once trying to do a little research, but of course I didn't get a response.

Thanks in advance,

Osage

Oops, after reading what I posted, to clarify further I'm mostly interested in what all types did they make, who did they make them for and when, instead of current market value.

Thanks again,

Osage

First off, the book I have is slightly out of date being printed in 2003.
The title is "Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values", Third Edition. ISSN number 1529-7349.

Now we come to the problem with answering your question.
This book lists the guns by the Importer or, the seller.
In the case of Thompson Center because they are not only the producer but the seller their guns are listed under Thompson Center.
Likewise, Pedersoli, Uberti, and Pietta manufacture guns and also either currently or in the past marketed their guns directly.

In the case of Investarms, they manufacture guns but they don't directly sell them directly to the public in the U.S. so they are not listed in the book.

Making an educated guess that Lyman has been importing Investarms for years I looked in the Lyman area and found the following:
1851 Navy, 1858 Remington .36, 1858 Remington .44, 1860 Army .44, Plains Pistol, Deerstalker , Great Plains Rifle, Trade Rifle, Cougar rifle. Interestingly they don't show a Great Plains Hunter.
I should also point out that the Lyman listings (along with many other importers like CVA) don't mention who made the guns or where their guns were made.

zonie :)

Zonie:

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate your wisdom, thus far I have only found the Investarms " I " stamp on Lyman and Cabelas rifles, however I've heard there are others such as some T/C's.

Investarms barrels seem to be far more accurate, along with a better lock design than rifles from other off the shelf commerical replica builders, such as Spain.

In the case of my two Investarms rifles, the Lyman Great Plains rifle though well made is very plain with a straight grained almost ugly dark stock, while the Cablela's is far more ornate and a much more nicely grained, light colored stock.

Actually my older .54 Cabela's has always been the major source of questions for me. The barrel has a nice blued finish while the muzzle and bore appear to be nickel steel or stainless. Although I've heard the term "chrome lined", this does not appear to be chrome. Also, in my best efforts the rate of twist measures 1:56. Using a very tight patch the ramrod will turn exactly 1/2 revolution for the 28" barrel length. However, I never been able to validate this as fact in any written information.

Thanks again,

Osage

Your more than welcome. :)

I don't believe Thompson Center ever used foreign barrels on their guns but I suppose it is possible that some foreign barrels have been put on their guns by some owner, perhaps to get the slower twist and deeper rifleing?

Over the years, several companies have produced barrels with chrome plated bores and the plating isn't necessarly super shiny like a car bumper. It can be a matt finish. Maybe that's what your looking at?

IMO, chrome lining in the bore can protect it from the caustic nature of black powder fouling but it still requires cleaning so I don't think it is something I would intentionally go out and look for.
I have also heard (but never seen) that chrome plating can delaminate or chip off over time and if it did this in a bore it would make a real patch destroyer.

zonie :)

Zonie:
Although I definitely don't claim to be a metal expert, as stated the bore and muzzle area of my Cabela's .54 though bright, but not shiney, does not appear to be plated.

Neither area seem to tarnish or rust and cleans a lot easier than regular metal barrels.

Years ago when I got the rifle used, it had an unknown history of use or maintenance, therefore I polished the bore as I always do using four(4) grades of compound. Thus far I see no indication that it has a plated surface, it appears to be solid metal.

It's the most accurate patched ball I have ever owned, I just wished I knew more about it.

Osage

Osage,
I have 4 Investarms Hawkens 3 in .50 cal
and one in .54.They are maybe 10+ years old,lined
with nothing,but care.They are cleaned after
every shoot.Cleaning the barrel is the last part
of a great shoot or hunt..IMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Back