• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zonie, and I met today at the Western National

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I kind of Ambushed Jim at the Primitive Range at the NMLRA Western Nationals in Phoenix, as I know what Jim, aka Zonie looks like, and we have talked before.

We had a nice conversation about the NMLRA, and the Muzzleloading Forum, as I said I kind of Ambushed Zonie as I knew who he was, but he did not until almost the end of the conversation know it was aka he was talking to. :wink:

Think we agree on a few things, and still have our differences about few things, but Zonie did have one of his fine rifles he built there. Believe it was a Southern Poor Both Style. But it was good to talk with Zonie.

In the end it was just another poorly promoted Western Shoot, with I guess less than 200 Registered Shooters, and maybe a few more Trader than last year, but nothing to get excited about.

Oh yes Don the Powder Guy was there from Arkansas, and I was glad I did not see Winston the Great Pres. of the NMLRA,:rotf: as I would have hit him up with a few questions. That I am sure he would have skirted around.

Weather kind of sucked unless you like rain. No one was shooting on the primitive Range, Mail Range was Dead, and Trader Ghost Town had few people do much more than walking around.

Weather was manure, no crowds, few shooters, trader row very un busy, and no camera. There was one very nice double flinter on display in the shipping container they call gunmakers hall. :rotf:

Well maybe rabbit 03 or one of the other Texas gang got some, with Ped giveing away shooting lessons with the new Gibbs I would of liked to gone to this one, It was real heavy pushed in MB as the start of the 75 year. Fred :hatsoff: Oh ya the "boss" Don claimed in MB he was going to hang out at his one but to much fun not to far away huh??? :rotf:

You should have gone back on Sat. Friday was a dim day for sure but Sat they place was hopping. I didn't vist the range but Traders row was packed full of people. I noticed as well a number of "tourists" or people that don't do either much shooting or re-enacting as far as I could tell. My favorite was a mother with her son,the son was looking at some furs and saying something about poor animals. Mom explained that furs where how people stayed warm and they were a necessary part of life. The son seemed to accept it, I wanted to give her a hug for trying to raise the boy "right".

I think it was as better turn out than years past. Somebody must have done something right.

PS. I also met Zonie, I gotta say the few pictures he has posted of his guns don't do them justice. He's a great guy and I had fun talking to him.

Well I am sure some one in the know will post numbers on the shoot. Shooters, etc.

I did talk with a friend today who was there this am early to buy powder. He shoots BPC, and SASS, he said the Powder Guy said Powder Sales were slow. That is too bad as Don come all the way from Arkansas to support the Western People Annually.

Know one thing for sure there was NO Big Raffle, or Auction like there was in 2000. Because no one stepped up to make it happen. :rotf: Beside if there was a Big Raffle, or Auction that made a huge profit, the NMLRA Brass would just take the money back to Indiana again, and say what money? :shake:

They did have a raffle for a semi custom rifle (Chambers kit, assembled by a local guru) along with accourterments made by local craftsmen and fellow board members. There was also a raffle for a $3000 hunting trip to Alaska that you could cash out on if you wanted... not sure why anyone would want to but you never know. Not sure what you mean by Big Raffle but those are two are pretty nice. Can't speak much for the powder guy, whenever I was there (both Fri and Sat) he had a tent full of people so I didn't spend to much time asking about his buisness, just made my purchases and thanked him for coming out.

Desert Rat said:
They did have a raffle for a semi custom rifle (Chambers kit, assembled by a local guru) along with accourterments made by local craftsmen and fellow board members. There was also a raffle for a $3000 hunting trip to Alaska that you could cash out on if you wanted... not sure why anyone would want to but you never know. Not sure what you mean by Big Raffle but those are two are pretty nice. Can't speak much for the powder guy, whenever I was there (both Fri and Sat) he had a tent full of people so I didn't spend to much time asking about his buisness, just made my purchases and thanked him for coming out.

Well it sounds like they could have put some effort into the event this year. Who was the local Guru who build the Rifle?

Well my buddy is a guy like me who asks questions. He is a top salesman for a big company, maybe that is why his has all that money for BPC, and Cowboy Shooting... :blah:

I was told it was built by Andy Lund but the paperwork said Andy Larson so I guess my statement may not be totally correct, I don't know Andy Larson.

In the end it was just another poorly promoted Western Shoot, with I guess less than 200 Registered Shooters, and maybe a few more Trader than last year, but nothing to get excited about.

Wow, we ran just over 275 registerd at this years "Horse Ridge" in Oregon, it ended yesterday. And this is just a lowly a private club sponsored event :blah:

Desert Rat said:
I was told it was built by Andy Lund but the paperwork said Andy Larson so I guess my statement may not be totally correct, I don't know Andy Larson.

Larson is from TEXAS, and at one time was an NMLRA Director. Lund is from AZ, and it would be nice to give the person credit for their work.

How was the Barrel Top Signed, or did you notice.

ApprenticeBuilder said:
Wow, we ran just over 275 registerd at this years "Horse Ridge" in Oregon, it ended yesterday. And this is just a lowly a private club sponsored event :blah:

Maybe everyone from the West, when to "Horse Ridge" :confused:

First time to Western Nationals and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We met some really great people from all over the country and learned a lot. One person from Ohio helped me considerable and made a huge difference in my revolver scores. Jim, thank you.

We met a couple who come each February and September from England to shoot. I guess Phoenix can not be that bad if they come each year. Both of them placed in the pistol matches. They were a joy to be around.

I was told there were five (5) less registered shooters than last year, but more targets were sold. The pistol range was full each day until Saturday. If you were not there at 0700 you did not get a place to shoot.

There were more traders this year than last year. Starvin Marvin said the traders set up earlier this year than last year. Traders Row is an interesting place, if you are interested in primitive type items there are a lot of places to visit and look in. If you are a competitive shooter, the selection is some what limited.

I spent sometime with Winston and rabbit 03. Winston is making progress on the shooting jacket issue and the changes will be in place at Friendship in June. As some may think, Winston does not skirt issues and will answer your direct questions. He is visible and you can talk with him whenever you wish. The man does have some “True Grit”. People owe rabbit 03 a thank you for his efforts, they are paying off.

Andy is indeed from Texas. He is one of the top shooters in the country, be it Phoenix, Friendship or Texas. Some excel at one type of shooting, Andy excels at it all. Along with being a top shooter, he is a craftsman. Andy and Suzie both spend a lot of time supporting muzzle loading and sponsored one of the matches.

I spent some time talking with Mike Luma about pistol shooting and again learned a lot. He shot one of the greatest pistol targets that I have ever seen.

The shoot was run very well and with great efficiency.

I stayed in Williams, AZ after the shoot and low and behold, I found some advertising for the shoot there!!! Some motels in Phoenix also give discounts if you are attending the shoot. One of the local sporting goods stores gave each competitor a gift certificated to use.

From my view point the shoot is a worth while experience and the NMLRA is doing a good job with the Winter Nationals. My wife said we will return next year, she does not shoot, but had a nice time.

Arizona should be very proud of the Ben Avery Range, it is world class.

RDE

I always give them a hard time ..but not this year. 75'th Avn and all that. Pedor put a bunch of money and guns into it trying to sell more of the Gibbs (and why not it's a winner!)They just had to ruin it with that give away In- trash. But the good will they put out was tons more than anything that the NMLRA has done in years so thank them and whoever got them to come up with the bucks and some new ways of shoting the world does that we seem to think is'nt worth it or something??? I woudld of jumped in (it was freee shooting the Gibbs and other things) and I could of worn my "BOYCOTT the NMLRA" till they get right shirt! :rotf: Whats a "LONGHNTER" a jerk with a in- :cursing: and tank killer bullets that get better every week (you saw the thing we shot out of space last week with one right??? :rotf:) I'm going to reup this week just cause of the 75 years thing Muz Blast with all the old stuff in it is worth that....and now we have found out how to fix what I and others that like this site (shooting and talking the old time guns like the NMLRA was set up to do and strayed) I won't be around to see the end but I belive "They" that messed it up back inthe late 90s are going to be out the door and things all made well. SOooo Richard this was your first time right (at this place) how did you do, and rabbitt?? And wouldnt it be nice if the NMLRA in MB wrote and took letters about what members dont like, do like! The Raffles was all run thru MB or call the office if I read it right. Give Pedersoli a big :applause: for giveing past the point of it hurts. Oh ya be sure and get your 75 Anniversary knife only 94.95 with serial # and your 75 year pin (that may be ok its like 6.00 if you don't want the knife hey its Case and only 1,500 better hurry :rotf:) ) anyway hope this thing can be changed back to what it was ment to be. ( ANY OF YOU BPCR shooters remember howit was hen the NRA didn't are about such things and coul'nt bother thn say the bucks that could be made and the rest is history, I see the same game comeing down the road, have since the NRA word first was put in MB Ya all best wtch out. Ad yes I belong to them also I just dont think we need them runnng the NMLRA. IM done, go to get my sleep sorry to have gone on and on ad hope everyone had fun! Fred pps they even put ads in Muzzleloader!!

:hatsoff: :shocked2:

fw,

"The Raffles was all run thru MB or call the office if I read it right."

You could buy tickets at Ben Avery and I even bought tickets. I normally do not enter a raffle. The rifle was won by a person from Mesa, AZ. Andy did a great job on the rifle.

RDE

akapennypincher,

The Ben Avery Facility is the nicest place that I have ever seen. There is not a place in Texas that can come close. To be honest, I am not sure anyone in the country has a place like Phoenix.

Whatever your sporting interest is, they have it and the facilities are maintained extremely well.

Yes, I am jealous.

RDE

Richard Eames said:
akapennypincher,

The Ben Avery Facility is the nicest place that I have ever seen. There is not a place in Texas that can come close. To be honest, I am not sure anyone in the country has a place like Phoenix.

Whatever your sporting interest is, they have it and the facilities are maintained extremely well.

Yes, I am jealous.

RDE

Yes it is and think it is first class. Volunteered there for 8 years as a Range Safety Officer, and finally said I had done it long enough after a NEW FACILITY Manager took over.

A Google Search on: BEN AVERY SHOOTING FACILITY Phoenix AZ with net you several official, and unofficial web-sites with information about the BEN AVERY SHOOTING FACILITY.

NUFF SAID.

Hey,
Don't forget the powderhorns donated by Mel Weaver from Texas. For those that didn't see them the main horn had a couple of dogs treeing a coon that was on the priming horn above it,really well done.
After it was all said and done on Monday they had more registered shooters than last year,sold 50 less targets ,probably cause of the rain.The auction made 5,100 and someone said the raffle total was up there but I forgot as I was busy putting things away
George

Latest posts

Back