• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zoli Zouave rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoyoteJoe said:
The sight I used is not made for a Zouave, in fact it was not even made as a peep. It is a long leaf Marbles open sight with step elevator. It had an insert which slides up or down after loosening a clamp screw. I replaced that sliding insert with a piece of hacksaw blade, annealed and filed to fit and drilled with a 1/8" peep hole. I used the existing cross slot of the original rear sight and filed that slot to a true dovetail to hold the Marbles sight. The long leaf then extends back so that the peep is just ahead of the hammer. I'd prefer it be a couple of inches closer to the eye but that was and easy way to get a peep on the Zouave so that is where it stands. At age 66 I just shoot much better with a peep and the original open sight was a total POS, much too close to the eye for an open sight. I doubt that anyone past their teens could get a decent sight picture with an open sight so close to the eye but most military muskets of that time were similar, only the two band Enfield had a decent rear sight placement. I know lots of people do shoot OK with the Springfield, Zouave, or three band Enfields, I just don't know how they do it. I see those sights as just a big hazy blob and can't get a real sight picture at all.
Understand, I have the same eyes. I filed the V deeper on the 100 yard leaf so could see the front sight better which helped a lot. Would have never thought of using a long leaf Marble sight to make a peep. That's pretty good :thumbsup:

Just something I happened to find in my "miscellaneous sights box". I got some fair weather for shooting yesterday and am pretty happy with the results at fifty yards. Just preliminary shooting, I still have a lot of options to try out but with a .570 Hornady ball, .018" pillow ticking patch cut on the muzzle and 75 grains of 2f Goex it is clover leafing at fifty. I want to try heavier powder charges and 100 yards but it is pretty windy here in spring and so far it shows real promise. :grin:

Now that you have me thinking a person could also go the other way with a long leaf Marble sight (reverse it) and gain about 3 inches in eye relief. Might look a little funny but if you can see :hmm:

I had a Lyman 1A on one of my Zouaves and it worked great. Wish I still had it. Peep sights, old fashioned ones at least, don't look out of place on rifle-muskets. I've got one on my Trapdoor sporter and it is very helpful to these tired old eyes. I would love to pick up a couple of these sights, but I'm told that they haven't been made for a long time now and are collector's items. Seems like a week after they stop making something it automatically becomes a rare and high priced antiquity. :cursing:

Nice job on the rifle, thank you for the pictures PA Rifleman. from your neighbor to the norh who will be going to GETTYSBURG very soon. My favorite place to go. Thanks again

Renegade Dan

I see that you are new to the forum. If you are also new to muzzle loading it would be a good idea to have someone knowledgable in black powder guns to look it over. That's not a bad price for a good Zouave but a lot of money if it isn't as good as represented.

RENEGADE DAN said:
Nice job on the rifle, thank you for the pictures PA Rifleman. from your neighbor to the norh who will be going to GETTYSBURG very soon. My favorite place to go. Thanks again

Renegade Dan
Thanks, the wood turned out well. I didn't do as much with the barrel & lock. It had a frozen nipple that *almost* condemned the barrel. Fortunately with a lot of oil and patience, it came out without any damage to the barrel.

Gettysburg is a favorite, especially with the wife. Always enjoy browsing in the Horse Soldier shoppe ( Link ).

Back