• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You cannon boys are a different breed.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You cannon boys are a different breed. :bow:

When still on the farm we would invite a Civil War Group out of Colo. Springs CO. to come up to shoot against the buckskinners. This started out pretty small but within about 5 years I was clearing ground for more parking and camping (usually a 3 day weekend went to a 5 day event).

Everyone had a great time until the CW boys wanted a cannon match (they had just come in 3rd at a big event in Texas). Needless to say they had "big heads". All we had for a cannon was a 1" bore "keel boat" gun to shoot the match. A range was set, 200 yds and 500 yards, used and old stop sign to trace out the targets. Never gave it a thought about the balls leaving the back stop (side of a mountain). On the other side is a retirement village with several double wide trailers used for meeting and social events.

CW Boys take the first shot for range with their "T" square thingy to sight in. Came close no cigar. Our team of buckskinners go next using the length of the fuse to aim with to the front barrel sight. Crude but it seems to work, we were closer to the target.

BuckhornSkinnerCannonShoot.jpg

BuckhornSkinnerKeelBoatGun.jpg

We were having a good time with the 200 yard targets, buckskinners won the 5 shot event.

Started on the 500 yard event, I was busy scoring a rifle match when one of the buckskinners told me to go to the "cannon match" - there's a problem. The 500 yard targets are on the side of the small mountain right in line with the retirement village on the other side. :doh:

When the CW guys shoot you can see the 3" ball bounce up the hill. Can't see if it made the top and went over or not? The keel boat gun is hitting the target.. By now with 2 shots a piece left for the 5 shot match I'm haven't a fit (can see me in chains being hauled to jail). Our luck held we got the match completed the buckskinners won this one too. They hit the target 3 times compared to the 3rd place champions with 1 hit on the outside of the orange scoring rings.

BuckhornSkinnerCannonShootWinner.jpg

Fun time for shooting a cannon for those there, by then I can't talk have a headache and just want to go sit by myself at the fire.

campcookin.jpg

:surrender:

Back