• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

yield per pound of lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmichsportsman

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,

So im looking at getting my first mold for casting roundballs and getting all the equipment around that I can. what im wondering is per pound of lead I get, how many round balls can expect to get? just as a for instance, so I can know how much lead I should scrounge.

Thanks

What caliber? Divide 7000 by the weight of the ball. There are 7000 grains of weight per pound therefore if you divide the weight of one pound by the weight of your ball that should give you how many balls per pound..........watch yer top knot.......

7000 grains per pound, divided by the ball weight you're casting.
Some common ones are
.32 = 155 balls per pound
.36 = 107
.40 = 76
.45 = 54
.50 = 39

Go to the Links-Charts-References part of the forum and you will find a chart for round balls per pound for every caliber.

of course, all these numbers don't take impurities into account. i usually subtract ten percent for dross, but i've come across some funky lead which probably has more.

just one guy's free advice, and no doubt wporth every penny.

Thanks, im still finding all these hidden gems on the site. this gives me a much better idea of how much lead to start gathering.

Gather all you can, every bit as the tree huggers are always going for legislation to out right ban it. It doesn't spoil so you need to be like me, a lead magnet. Heck if I don't use it in my life time the grand sons will. :thumbsup:

goggle.com, it's a good place to start for looking for price comparisons. You might try the local scrap yard, no postage needed.

RDE

Last edited by a moderator:
of course, all these numbers don't take impurities into account
those numbers are based on pure lead. If you are buying pure refined lead you are good to go. If you are using recycled lead then definitly leave room for error.

Latest posts

Back