• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wtb buy hawken flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
wanting a hawkin style don't like the great plains because of the sharp butt plate or I would buy one, is their something out their in 54 cal slow twist for round balls flinter?
Also I keep seeing GPR what does that mean?
thanks in advance.

GPR stands for Great Plains Rifle.
This is the Lyman rifle with a barrel suitable for shooting patched roundballs.

There is also a GPH or, Great Plains Hunter.

It looks just like the GPR but the barrel is rifled with shallow groove, fast twist rifling suitable for shooting long bullets.

are you dead set on the half stock plains style? This was a rareity in the old days. Pedersoli makes several flint styles that are more typical of flint guns.
The Great Plains rifle is one of the best over the counter flint rifles in that price range. The curve on the butt plate is made to fit above your bicepe and is very comfortable to shoot.
The 1803 Harpers ferry rifle is a half stock flint lock in .54 that is pretty historically correct, half stock, and ”˜short barreled’ I think it’s 33”.
Traditions offers flint full stock rifles also more correct in style.
In percussion the GPR looks a lot like origanal Hawkens.

I would think an early Virginia or Colonial style rifle with a flatter butt plate and a 38" swamped barrel would be far more comfortable to shoot.

In a ready made production rifle off the shelf, then the Pedersoli offerings are worth looking at.

GPR as already mentioned, no comparison in its price range.

However for production guns I do think the Pedersoli River Hawken is a fine looking rifle, but it's a capper.

One thing to consider is that the Hawken brothers just didn't produce flintlock versions of their plains style rifles.

You can find the English half stock flint lock rifle. The English style will have a flatter butt plate.

A Hawken style rifle would have a sharp crescent butt plate. The Lyman Great plains rifle is the closest "affordable" Hawken style rifle. If you don't want a crescent butt plate you should probably look at something besides a Hawken.

Thank you all for the Info, I will try to find some one that has one of them their Lymans that I can try out.

I have a Left hand Lyman Great Plains flint rifle in 50. It's great. I've had no problems. I bought it used online and have no idea of it's age or use, but the lock has never failed me and it sparks well. (I have two rifles with Jim Chambers Siler's so I know a good lock, and the GPR is fine, in my opinion.)

I have taken two deer with this rifle. My only complaint is that it is heavy.

If you want a Hawken style that is more historically correct with flint, you might look into a Lehman style rifle from TVM. . .but it is full stock. . . you'll have to wait a while while it is built as a custom rifle. I have their late lancaster and they make a very fine rifle.

Most shooters, however, don't know historical accuracy . . . most modern shooters look at my muzzleloaders like a cow looking at a new gate no matter what model I show them . . . so if you like the Lyman, that's what matters most, in my opinion.

The Lyman rifle is about as good as it gets, when finding a good reliable rifle with good appearance.
In a kit form, you can customize it to your rifle.
However when you mention Hawken style that also means heavy rifle.
Any rifle with a 1" X 32" or longer is going to be heavy.
When you include a steel under rib, add more weight.
It is hard to make a gun with that much iron feel light.
If you want a light gun get one with a plastic stock and graphene barrel. :barf:

Latest posts

Back