• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wrong side

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msb

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reading a flintlock post and they talked about shooting left hand guns as a right hand one. I have a friend who shoots his left hand from the right hand side. He shoots offhand and Shoots well. Was wondering if there are any others out there who do and the pros and cons of shooting this way.

I'm a lefty and I shoot a percussion right-hander rifle, with no issues at all. FWIW I was just looking at a mint .62 smoothbore flint fowler at a small shop in Vermont ... for short money too, but the owner wouldn't sell it to me as it was a right-handed rifle.

Begrudgingly :hatsoff: , I had to respect that this was how he felt about a lefty shooting a righty flintlock.

IM a lefty and shoot right hand percussions (left sided)
I have 1 flintlock that is a lefty and IM building another lefty soon.
If its available for me in left hand flintlock that is I will get that one. Percussion I dont mind its not as invloved.

i shoot left-handed and i have three sidelock percussion rifles that are right-handed (just added another one last friday night!). absolutely no problem shooting them. flintlocks, on the other hand . . . :shocked2:

I'm a lefty shooting mostly right handed caplocks. The only hassle I've encountered comes from too many years formal target shooting. I slide my right hand way back and rest the trigger guard on my right thumb and the stock on my fingers with my arm tight back against my torso. It's great for steady shooting, but I often get hot blowby from the cap on my wrist or down my sleeve. It's never happened when shooting the same way with my only left handed caplock.

Ditto, I am a lefty & own R&L hand flinters & nipple guns, never had a problem.

another south paw shootin guns with the lock on the wrong side :rotf:
until i tried a right flinter I had no problem gettin real good accracy bench or off hand with a right percussion.
but gotta go left if it's a flint :hatsoff:

I used to do that too, then I bought an underhammer. Foolproof, at least for wrong sidedness. :shake:

CROWHOP said:
Lefty here shooting wrong sided I mean right handed rifles :grin:
yup that was a loving jab at CoyoteJoe who lookes at my left handed rifles and say, nice gun to bad the locks on the wrong side :rotf:
my grannie said in her day lefties were forced to go the other way (right)
God made a few really good muzzleloaders the rest are right handed :rotf:

I just started shooting black powder rifles last fall and I am left handed shooting the right (wrong) side. Don’t have a problem with my bolt action rifles because they are all left handed bolts except one.
I did have a problem with the cap on the Hawkins that was blowing back in my face until I got the hammer lined up on it.

Nightfisher

Back