• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wrong mould number?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I used my mic on some 490 RB that I molded last week. They are all showing a diam. of .473 to .474 .
The Lyman mould is stamped .490 RB. Used soft lead in the moulds.
Can't figure out why they are turning out smaller than .490.
Anyone have an explanation?

From my experience with Lyman molds they base their sizing on using the No.2 Bullet alloy-

Lyman #2 Bullet Casting Alloy (90% Lead, 5% Tin, 5% Antimony)

I would call Lyman and explain your problem,they've always had pretty good customer service.Molds get messed up,cherries wear with use.

Yeah my thought was that you may not be using pure lead. That is quite a lot of shrinkage. A call to Lyman mat get you a replacement. Geo. T.

with that much of a difference, I would say the mold was marked wrong. using alloys would not cause anywhere near that much shrinkage.

After a little checking Lyman does calibrate their mold sizes using a Lyman No.2 bullet alloy.Using a straight lead or pure lead will cast a smaller ball due to shrinkage factors.I doubt it is marked wrong if it is a newer mold,the next smaller size is .457,the next size up is .495.You might try adding some tin or 50/50 solder to reduce the shrinkage.The heat at which you're casting may also be a factor.

in my experience, the difference in shrinkage between 30:1 and pure lead is only one half of a thousandth [.0005]

Ogre said:
Hmmm......my experience is that pure lead always shrinks more then alloyed lead.
You're absolutely right. I got it backwards, hate it when that happens.

So that only leaves two possibilities (1)mis-marked mold or (2)mis calibrated mic.

I remember one time when using a dial caliper and checking the length of some 577/450 cases, somehow the dial was moved way off zero and made me crazy until I figured it out.

Latest posts

Back