• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you buy a _ _ _ or a _ _ _ _

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting ready to place an order for a Wison Trade gun, and am VASCELLATING between a Caywood, and NorthStar West. Being honest i am leaning toward the caywood, but sill are torn between the two makers :shake:

Assuming the quality of both are close enough to be considered equal, have you contacted each manufacturer to see which one offers the fastest delivery time?

I have 2 Northstar smoothbores and I'm pleased as punch with them. Last year I replaced my mainspring on my 11 year old Officers Fusil and Northstar sent me the new spring free of charge when they discovered I was the first and only owner.

My trade gun is 25 years old and came from Curly when he was still alive and owned the company.

The thing about Caywood that bothers me is the whole "I'll sell you a gun that is complete, except for the lock, which you have to buy from this other guy over here"... :shocked2:

I like the one bill, one box, one gun thing.

Cheers,

David Teague

Personally I have handled both guns and like the quality of both. That being said I would go with the gun from NSW. The three big reasons are this... 1. NSW offers all of their guns in walnut which as I understand is a more correct wood than the maple that Caywood likes. 2. I don't like the idea of purchasing the lock seperate from the the rest of the gun, If I am buying a finished gun I want it finished not in parts (as Caywood sells). 3. Having spoken with Mr. Caywood and Mr. Denison I must say that Mr. Denison was a much nicer fellow to converse with (it's not much to go on but I prefer to like the guy if I am going to give him a couple hundred dollars, heck the last time I bought a new truck I choose to buy it from the salesman who knew my name when I walked into the dealership instead of the guy who didn't).
As I said, the quality of both is great but I would go with the gun from Northstar West.

I'd buy the North Star West. I just got their Officer's Musket and I really like it. The lock is sweet and the inletting is very good.

Methinks Caywood does this to avoid (if no lock, it is not a complete gun) the federal firearms mfg. excise tax thingy (small builders with limited sales are now exempt) which can add considerably to the customer cost.

TANSTAAFL said:
Methinks Caywood does this to avoid (if no lock, it is not a complete gun) the federal firearms mfg. excise tax thingy (small builders with limited sales are now exempt) which can add considerably to the customer cost.

Above appear to be TRUE, plus now Caywood lists prices with Lock. Locks are sent with in a package from the Lock Guy who is Danny's Partner (Mike Rowe) I believe is his name.. :v

I bought my Wilson model trade gun from Caywood some ten years ago, almost. And yes, that they prefer maple is true. Service has been good. I had a mainspring failure, and Danny sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. It's a good gun. I rather do wish they'd switch over to walnut--European walnut, specifically.

Cruzatte

Ditto, love the European walnut, fits the period for most smoothies and is normally very nice wood.

I recently picked up an old percussion .50 Sile rifle (appears danged close to a TC or a Traditions) with nice walnut stock for resale or trade. It appears unfired, or very little and is like new with a browned bbl and chrome lined bore. Best wood to metal fit I have ever seen on a factory production gun.

Back