• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Workshops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. getting ready to start setting up shop and making the various benches and such I'll need to start building. I need some inspiration here. Maybe I can save some work.

Who has pics of their shops? Particularly the benches and tables they use to work on their guns?

If I took a picture of my shop right now, you would scream. As soon as I'm done reading everything on this forum, I'm going down there with a broom and try to bring it back to tornado status, instead of Hiroshima status. Bill

P.S. I may need to re-read the entire forum again, just to make sure I didn't miss anything important. :surrender:

Here is one thing I did in mine that has been a big help. I extended my small vice out on this 6X6 so it sticks out away from the bench. I have a stand that adjusts up to this height so I can rest the forend on it and I can rotate the vice and stand so the gun is in any orientation I need. I don't have a pic of the stand but it is a regular table saw roller stand with the roller just wrapped in padding and good old duct tape.

SHOPVICE002.jpg

This bench is bolted to the floor and wall and has a 4" Starrett vise w/ copper and padded jaws. On the left and right are outboard supports that accept the pivoted rifle. Have 2 gunracks...one vertical for CFs and one horizontal for MLers, blanks and bbls. Overhead florescent lighting w/ 2 bench lights...Fred

P3140013.jpg

P1010039.jpg

I cann't get into my shop to get good pictures (too many half completed projects.) But just think about a two story. Furniture building shop upstairs, machine shop down stairs. Playing with "gun stuff" as "she who sleeps at home " calls it, is just one of my hobbies/businesses :hmm: :hmm: Many of the old time smiths had a simple forge, anvil,hammers and wooden work bench , with varius hand tools.Reading some of the early estate records, even pieces of broken glass (used to scrape the wood ) were considered tools worth mentioning.

A nice gunbuilding room is good but it really isn't necessary.

I spent many hours sitting in the "back room" on a 6 foot couch with a folding Black & Decker workbench sitting next to it building Pecatonica River "kits". I also had a radio so I could listen to some talk shows to keep me company.

I had mounted a 4 inch Pony vise on the workbench and that, along with a electric drill, chisels, screw drivers and a small belt sander was about it.
For major things like drilling holes in the stock I sit on the floor using a combination square to help me guide the drill.

Now, I have a lot more equipment and more benches but sometimes I miss sitting there on that couch slowly sanding, shaping and fitting parts.
It was downright comfortable. :)

As posted before I am building a new work shop. boy it's slow going! my Dad is my help, and he has been at Boy Scout camp the last 2 weeks and this one, Oh well It's too Hot to shingle the roof!! but I am working on the inside, got the storage room walled off. now I start wiring the electricty.
Should be in the shop by winter? (I Hope?)

Back