• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working on my gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mize

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Do to the ice storm, I have had lots of time to work on my gear. On Saturday, I made a sheath for the knife that my wife got me for my birthday, and today I flip-flopped the straps on my possibles bag so the lacing is in the back. So here is my question. I have seen some pictures of possible bags with the ball starter hanging from the strap, as well as the capper and powder-measurer mounted on the strap. So what if any of these items do I need mounted on my strap? And if so which ones?

I started out hanging lots of stuff from my strap and the cords just got hung up in the brush. Now I keep it all in the bag, although I do tie my powder measure, small loading block, pick and pan brush to cords that fasten inside the bag.
Moose

What Moose said...I had all my things hanging from cords and straps and all I ended up with was a mess

i put a loop on the inside of my bag :v .............bob

possiblesbag012.jpg

Thanks for the imput. I kinda thought that the ccords would get in the way, ans with my luck the biggest deer of my life would show its self and one of the cords would snag and prevent me from getting the shot. I think I willdo as you have done and secure them in my bag. When I get time I will post a picture of my sheath and my bag.

thanks
Soonerhunter

Soonerhunter,
I put a loop on my strap (actually two horizontal slits) that I can thread my ball starter in to hold it. Everything else is inside, with a small pocket to hold the fixin's for my next load.
Good luck with the weather.
bramble

SD531033.jpg
Here are some pic's of what I have been working on. The bag is from Cabelas and the Knife is a Gerber and the sheath was made Saturday.
SD531026.jpg

I had the same experience with stuff dangling from my bag. Our hills are simply too brushy, whether you're hunting deer, elk, moose or rabbits.

I still wanted things handy, so I have my capper and a 2-ball block on a loop I hang around my neck. The loop is long enough so the gear rides in my shirt pocket or simply dangles inside my coat. In either case it's real handy while being protected from snags.

BTW- I made the cord with a real tight braid of deer leather strips. Looks good!

I have the starter on the bag strap, in a long 'tube' of leather near the bag itself..I have an antler powder measure on the horn strap..only the powder measure has any kind of cord or string to it...haven't had a hang up problem as of yet, and they've been there about 25 years or so...on the other hand, I'm moving slower all the time...harder to get hung up..Hank

I really like the deer on the sheath,looks great!!The only thing in my bags is balls and patches and a couple of flints in a small leather bag.I carry my powder measure around my neck.

Back