• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Workin' Hard All Week Puts the Meat on the Table"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Yea, that's right. I altered Josh Thompson's song "Beer on the Table" to name this topic. Sorry I haven't had time to put these on here from Friday. Friday we hunted then ate supper and right after that I was at my girlfriend's house all night til like 12, then I cleaned my gun and only got like 3 hours of sleep. My deer from the picture was taken from my usual opening day stand in a creek bottom. Four does just came trotting toward me and this old doe was in the lead and I let her get to about 20 yards til I let her have it. She ran about 30 yards after I shot her right behind the shoulder. And yes, I used my .45 roundball in my TC Hawken on this one. I didn't get a pass through however and never found the ball. But the gun worked good and I'm still hunting with it but am waiting for a 120" or better deer right now. My dad killed that button buck out of a stand in a hedge row overgrown pasture area at about 65 yards. He hit it in the shoulder and the deer ran through some VERY thick cover and didn't bleed much the whole way but he found it. The deer went I think like 150 yards from where he shot it. That's his first black powder deer with that lyman gpr .50
IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Almost forgot to mention my gear.
The bag is a Swampy-made bag.
The powder measure that you can't see is a Scobrien measures.
And the horn is from Tony from around SE Iowa.

Nice, and nicely done! Swampy does bags too? His holsters are great!

steve

Good work for sure...those Hawkens get it done every time, congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Yea, the actual entrance wound on my deer wasn't as big as the picture shows. I killed the deer at like 7 and left it lay and went back home until my dad was done hunting at like 9 and when we drove back on the 4 wheeler a crow had been picking at it. Them friggin things don't take no time to find a freshly killed animal.

Congratulations on a good hunt and a good shot, Luie! Congratulations to your father as well.

Yea those scavenger birds can be pesky, but they're just trying to make meat too. They can be a help sometimes as well. I had a raven alert me to the location of where a buck was bedded down in the thick shade of a bay tree earlier this season, and I gladly shared the spoils of the kill with that bird after the buck was field dressed...

Luie,
It brings a smile to my face evertime I see you have started a thread because you remind me of my own youth.

God Bless Ya' youngster and keep on havin' fun!!

A man is too soon old and too late wise!

Congrats!
My son and I are still trying to double up, Can't seem to get it together on the same day.
Good job to you both! :thumbsup:

Grats to you and your Dad! :hatsoff:

And you were worried about that .45... looks like it shoots purty good. :thumbsup:

Back