• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Dbl-Barrel Flintlock Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got in from a weekend in VT - where we went out for grouse and woodcock hunting with my flint dbl-barrel flintlock shotgun, her maiden voyage.

I was also ‘hunting’ for some tree fungus (Chaga) & to get this big piece I had to put my shotgun down to use 2 hands, as it was way up over my head.

When I got it down to chest level, a woodcock went up about 5' from me & flew straight over towards my friend, about 30-yards off to my left. It flew right over his head !!! not 10' up !!! but he was peeing against a tree at the time & didn't get a shot off, lol!

Well, that is the way it goes, but we put up 2 grouse & 1 woodcock in an afternoon’s hunt (not using dogs either), where he got a shot off at 1 of the grouse, but missed it.

TREE FUNGUS amung us!

DD254BA3-D5E4-44D3-A8EC-82241317FA84.jpeg

True … but otherwise to flush 3 birds in 3-hours of hunting - without the use of any dogs - was pretty good I think!

We will just have to come up with some hand signals, like patting the top of your head (with an orange hunting safety hat on) means, “Hold on … don’t flush anything … I gotta use the outhouse!”

Still all in all, the VT woods were beautiful! The rest of the weekend was spent cleaning out the stove and stove pipe, cutting up wood and stacking it, etc., to ready the cabin for the upcoming deer seasons in November and December.

558A6D1B-8B75-467D-9F22-483BDBA0EA58.jpeg

I was also ‘hunting’ for some tree fungus (Chaga) & to get this big piece I had to put my shotgun down to use 2 hands, as it was way up over my head.

TREE FUNGUS amung us!
OK, just what does one with "Chaga"? Dry & smoke for eccentric enjoyment? Or a Chinese herb that one rubs on stuffs for enjoyment? Or??? :dunno:

Inquiring minds and all that?

Wganz,
Flint's fungus isn't really chaga, its a horseshoe or horsehoof fungus I think.
This sort is better for use as tinder in a tinder or snapping matchlock.
Chaga is best for making a tea like drink, and grows mainly on birch trees.

Nice gun and cabin Flint!!

Latest posts

Back