• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wool point blanket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malachi

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some help identify a blanket I recently found in. A goodwill.it is 190" long and 78" wide it has no identification but is cream with black stripes one on either end and two in the middle it has four point strips on either end on opposite side sorry no pics any help will be appreciated

Without a photo it's difficult to be certain. But, it sounds like what you have is called a pair of blankets. Some trade blankets were manufactured and sold as a "pair" i.e.. 1 double, length wise blankets to be split into 2 individual blankets at a later date, by either a trader, store/factory owner or the end user. I have a 3 point "pair" made by Rob Stone that I love. Mainly it is perfect for folding in half when you make your bed roll so your feet don't have a chance to stick out. I don't know when the Big blanket Manufactures (HBC, Whitney) quit making them, but they do show up now and again. If that is what you have, that's a very good find.

pairs were torn before being sold as said above. Also a double would be used to wrap a bundle of blankets and called a "wraper" so the company didn't hsave to pay taxes on one double per bundle.

Yes that is it, thanks for the pic I can't believe that I found it at a goodwill for only $6.00 the rendezvous gods must have been smiling on me because of my birthday :grin: I'll never get rid of it but does anyone know the value placed on this type of blanket?

Well a new Pendleton wool blanket is going to cost over $100. You basically have two blankets and then you throw in the value of it being a collectors item. So my uneducated guess is to insure it for $250 to $300.

I bought 4 wool blankets for $1 each at a garage sale once. Every once in a while you get lucky.

To purchase a new 4 point "pair" blanket from Rob Stone would run you approximately $550 to $650. However, this number is from a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to find a current price list hence the range. Jim Kimple at Highhorse Tradeing used to sell these for Mr. Stone, but his website is down.
If it's a used Hudson's Bay, I've seen them on Ebay for anywhere from $150.00 to $350.00. Once again, these "pairs" don't come up very often, and when they do it is usually the Candy Striped version. The Blanket you have,white with black or indigo bars is more desired in a HC/PC context. Good find.

and if you are going to make it into two blankets or if you are making a capote and if you want the cut straight and so it will not fray, rip it don't cut it, just cut the starting point then carefully rip it the rest of the way.

Back