• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Arrived today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slowly working on it. I set it out today to bake in the sun. Multiple coats of tannic acid. Then multiple coats of aqua fortis. Rubbed back. Multiple coats of finish on. Rubbing it back more. Trying to get the right look. Not too dark. Not too shiney. I think it's real close. Let it get good and hard while I complete the project and then give it a coat of wax. This has taken some time with sometimes days going by. A bit of glare in a few spots.

And I know, someone is going to ask about that patchbox cover and why didn't I carve something in it to help open it. If I could have gotten the rifle without a patchbox, I would have. Chances of me using it are slim. I like looking at the wood.

Yes, some of the inlets have finish in them. They got a little. Then a little more. Oh well.

IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3169.jpeg

Basically done for now. I suppose none of my projects are ever really done. I plan on polishing the lock. Started with some stones I bought for the purpose on the frizzen. Slow, but it will get the job done. Inside wintertime project.

You real gun builders will know exactly what happened when I knew I got finish in some of the inlets. I had to go back and scrape them all clean. Fortunately I had purchased a set of Richard Miller's scrapers. They worked just outstanding for getting the finish out of any inlet without damaging anything else.

Metal has been left in the white. Polished up the brass. Not to a mirror finish. Barrel was lightly drawfiled and the sharp edges on the flats lightly rounded with a file. Fitted the ramrod today. Sanded, whiskered, and stained it.

The entire rifle has a coat of tool wax. About a week old or so. Should be plenty dry by now.

A few poor pics in the sun in my front porch workshop. Couldn't see in the sun on the iPhone, so I missed part of the barrel in one pic. And this iPhone, as my other ones in the past, always seem to make pictures just a little more red/orange than they really are. The curl appears gold to my eye. But the iPhone makes it look Bengal tiger colored.

The club has an open house this next Saturday. I have no excuses and should be able to get some shooting done.

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3193.jpeg

Back