• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Woodsrunner Arrived today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hardly a mark on the shipping box. Had to check it out of course. I had asked for something special as far as the quality of wood grain and current stock blanks allowed. This is above grade. Really nice flame grain on the buttstock. The curl width varys, with some clusters, some wide, some narrow. Lock and barrel fit really well. By the time I can really get into assembly and finishing I would expect to have to do some fine scraping to perfect the fitting. Moisture can make a big difference.

My intent is to really improve my ability to burnish scrapers. Scrape and then bone the stock with a small spike buck antler. Then one or more coats of Iron Nitrate. Perhaps tannic acid and rubbing it back. Laurel Mountain Forge Lancaster Maple stain. Then finish with multiple coats of Sutherland Welles medium luster Tung Oil.

I'm two months away from the carving class at WKU. So there may be some simple carving. The graceful wrist area is appealing in this design.

This is a 54cal. Ordered mid-October I think. No bright sunshine here today, but the light looks to show the grain well. More pics when I get into building.

IMG_3082.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

IMG_3084.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg

IMG_3087.jpeg

IMG_3089.jpeg

Beautiful wood, are you going to add brass to the butt end of the patchbox lid?

My intent at this time is, no. I like wood. But that may change and the piece is provided. Has to be shaped. If I could have gotten the Woodsrunner without the patchbox, I would have ordered it that way. I have a number of books in my library, and I will study those, looking at patchbox lids closely.

I must say, that this patchbox does have a certain appeal. It's simple. The wood matches very well. Nearly fits perfectly. There is a little rubbing of the edges to do. Knock any machining fuzz off. Scrape the visible outer surface first of course.

Latest posts

Back