• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woods Walk course

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
All,

Need some guidance here. I am looking to set up a Woods walk course. I have some land that would be great for it.. However,, I have never taken part on a Wood Walk course..I have a bunch of questions for those that have experience.. I am investing in some steel targets 6" and 8" ...Below are some questions

1.how many targets should a course have/
2. What ranges? I can go out to at least 150 yards if needed...
3. Size and shape of the targets.
4. Anything else that I might need to know.....

All,

Need some guidance here. I am looking to set up a Woods walk course. I have some land that would be great for it.. However,, I have never taken part on a Wood Walk course..I have a bunch of questions for those that have experience.. I am investing in some steel targets 6" and 8" ...Below are some questions

1. 12 is enough
2. For an eight inch target? 100 yards off hand is enough
3. It sounds like you have already invested in six and eight inch targets?
4. Moving targets (sliding down a cable) are always cool. A sheet of plywood with a deer painted on it and an appropriate sized heart lung area.

Edit..... Make it flintlock only!

Last edited:
Just my opinion and what I've observed ...

NUMBER
  • Usually 12 to 15 'shootin' stations, then add some for knife/hawk, archery, etc.
  • One of the best courses near here even adds a Wrist Rocket slingshot, shootin' 3 dried chick peas at a hanging fry pan, 5-points for each hit!
  • Some add a primitive archery setup, shootin' 3 arrows at a bale; another had an atlatl target, 5-points per hit!
  • Hawk/knife, 5-points for a stick anywhere on the butt, but the center, where some add a 3" painted center and if it sticks in there, they get 10-points
  • Consider a SHORT and LONGer course, depending on the day/event, etc.
RANGES
  • Closer ranges, within ~10-yards, for splitting a dowel or pencil or shootin' at the edge of a playing card
  • The hanging chain at 20-yards is always a winner
  • LOVE the split the ball on the axe head shot, rig up a stump with an old axe head mounted in the center and 2 circular counterbores milled out with a router on either side. BEST to have this in front of a bigger large stump, or some place out of the firing line to put the box of clay birds behind it
  • Big metal gongs that 'RING' are de bomb, can be placed out to 80-yards
  • Add some animal shapes, turkeys, pigs, as your budget or imagination allows. Maybe you'll find a local metal guy that will volunteer to cut some out of scrap steel for you
  • Sky is the limit really, plus your imagination
SIZE/SHAPE
  • 6" to 8" round or square are cool or the norm
  • Hang the squares as a diamond for a different 'look'
  • A sweet round gong is the one with a doughnut hole cut out of the center
  • A 2" by 12" rectangle hung HORIZONTALLY is neat & different
  • Augment that with a 2" by 12" rectangle hung VERTICALLY
  • Items can be strung on heavy string/cord suspended between trees ... apples, potatoes, etc., using wire hooked over the cord (tie in loops at predetermined spacing) so targets can readily be replaced
  • Besides side/shape, also alter the shooting position, as one course near me (the BEST!) has a shot to be taken from their Off-side hand, so a Righty needs to shoot their musket/rifle as a Lefty.
  • A steep uphill or downhill target can be neat too
  • One popular one is the 'drive the tack'. A piece of Homesote of other has 30 or more tacks driven into it with a # above them, spaced to give a good 2-3" border away from other tacks. From 7-10-yards, people pick a # and need to obliterate the tack called.
OTHER
  • Have a separate division for rifle vs smoothbore ... as a smoothie shooter I thank you in advance!
  • RULES of the game for attendees, is that they re-hang or replace any consumable target (clay bird, apple, potato, etc.) before they more on to the next station
  • 5 MZL shootin' shots then a knife/hawk, then 5 more shootin;, then something else is a cool break up
  • Some woodswalks add 5 to 10-points for period dress ... which means NOT just a hat ...
  • Some add a fire starting station, using flint & steel, as a contest. Person can ready their char, flint & steel, etc., clock starts when they say ready ... if they light it (get flame!) before 30-seconds - they get the points. Time can be adjusted, of course, depending on how seasoned your cadre are
  • Consider having the LAST shot be not for score, but a tie-breaker, in case people need to leave. Typically this is a 3" or so round bullseye @ 40-yards or more, closest to the center X breaks the tie
  • I don't know where you live ... so I'll leave out any concerns for signing liability releases et al ... but it is something to be considered
Now I'm probably missing some more info here than I'm adding, LOL ... but hopefully this gives YOU some ideas, and prompts other to add their input!

I have 10 of these on my woods walk course. The shooting stations aren’t set, so shots can be taken at 30-70 yards. 30 or 40 yards is enough for me. And unlimited room to hang additional targets like my Crow decoys.

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2847.jpeg
    IMG_2847.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
When we had one, we used a bunch of animal shapes; mostly small game targets at 15-30 yards. A couple were large NRA steel silhouttes at 100-150 or so.

I've done one with a big steel triangle made of half-inch steel rod. Some knock-down steel poppers with a cord to reset them (sort of like what they use for action shooting matches).

If I had my own land, if definitely add some 3d archery targets and a stump for throwing a hawk.

I have 10 of these on my woods walk course. The shooting stations aren’t set, so shots can be taken at 30-70 yards. 30 or 40 yards is enough for me. And unlimited room to hang additional targets like my Crow decoys.
Glass targets on a works walk is not that good of an idea. Keep it down to steel. paper and wood and keep it safe, maybe charcoal, Lollie pops, nails in a piece of fiber board. I can't remember all the woods walk targets I've shot over the years.

Good topic. I have some land and a range, but have never been to any sanctioned events either. Some target ideas I use for rimfire and muzzleloader rifles/pistols/revolvers are saltine crackers held with clothespins nailed to a board or clipped to a wire, and something I saw in a video where a bunch of "Redcoats" were drawn about 6" high on posterboard tacked to fiberboard and old condiment packets of catsup or red hot sauce pinned to their chests.

Keep the ideas coming.

15 targets give or take a few.

Some of my favorites: (some good ones are already listed)
Cut the card
bead or plaster balls hanging from a string
pipe bent into an s shape
steel plate with a hole in it you have to shoot through to hit another plate behind it.
silhouette targets seem pretty common
a timed target where you drop a round ball in a copper pipe with 4 or five circles in it where you have to shoot before the balls falls in a coffee can under the pipe. 10-15 seconds maybe?

Anything you can imagine you can do.

To me the best woods walks are not to easy but not to hard. Need to challenge the good shooters, but… Beginners like to hit targets to. There was a thread on here a while back that discussed what percentage of targets should be able to be hit by different experience level of shooters.

Just my opinion and what I've observed ...

NUMBER
  • Usually 12 to 15 'shootin' stations, then add some for knife/hawk, archery, etc.
  • One of the best courses near here even adds a Wrist Rocket slingshot, shootin' 3 dried chick peas at a hanging fry pan, 5-points for each hit!
  • Some add a primitive archery setup, shootin' 3 arrows at a bale; another had an atlatl target, 5-points per hit!
  • Hawk/knife, 5-points for a stick anywhere on the butt, but the center, where some add a 3" painted center and if it sticks in there, they get 10-points
  • Consider a SHORT and LONGer course, depending on the day/event, etc.
RANGES
  • Closer ranges, within ~10-yards, for splitting a dowel or pencil or shootin' at the edge of a playing card
  • The hanging chain at 20-yards is always a winner
  • LOVE the split the ball on the axe head shot, rig up a stump with an old axe head mounted in the center and 2 circular counterbores milled out with a router on either side. BEST to have this in front of a bigger large stump, or some place out of the firing line to put the box of clay birds behind it
  • Big metal gongs that 'RING' are de bomb, can be placed out to 80-yards
  • Add some animal shapes, turkeys, pigs, as your budget or imagination allows. Maybe you'll find a local metal guy that will volunteer to cut some out of scrap steel for you
  • Sky is the limit really, plus your imagination
SIZE/SHAPE
  • 6" to 8" round or square are cool or the norm
  • Hang the squares as a diamond for a different 'look'
  • A sweet round gong is the one with a doughnut hole cut out of the center
  • A 2" by 12" rectangle hung HORIZONTALLY is neat & different
  • Augment that with a 2" by 12" rectangle hung VERTICALLY
  • Items can be strung on heavy string/cord suspended between trees ... apples, potatoes, etc., using wire hooked over the cord (tie in loops at predetermined spacing) so targets can readily be replaced
  • Besides side/shape, also alter the shooting position, as one course near me (the BEST!) has a shot to be taken from their Off-side hand, so a Righty needs to shoot their musket/rifle as a Lefty.
  • A steep uphill or downhill target can be neat too
  • One popular one is the 'drive the tack'. A piece of Homesote of other has 30 or more tacks driven into it with a # above them, spaced to give a good 2-3" border away from other tacks. From 7-10-yards, people pick a # and need to obliterate the tack called.
OTHER
  • Have a separate division for rifle vs smoothbore ... as a smoothie shooter I thank you in advance!
  • RULES of the game for attendees, is that they re-hang or replace any consumable target (clay bird, apple, potato, etc.) before they more on to the next station
  • 5 MZL shootin' shots then a knife/hawk, then 5 more shootin;, then something else is a cool break up
  • Some woodswalks add 5 to 10-points for period dress ... which means NOT just a hat ...
  • Some add a fire starting station, using flint & steel, as a contest. Person can ready their char, flint & steel, etc., clock starts when they say ready ... if they light it (get flame!) before 30-seconds - they get the points. Time can be adjusted, of course, depending on how seasoned your cadre are
  • Consider having the LAST shot be not for score, but a tie-breaker, in case people need to leave. Typically this is a 3" or so round bullseye @ 40-yards or more, closest to the center X breaks the tie
  • I don't know where you live ... so I'll leave out any concerns for signing liability releases et al ... but it is something to be considered
Now I'm probably missing some more info here than I'm adding, LOL ... but hopefully this gives YOU some ideas, and prompts other to add their input!
I'm guessing you have some experience, and ideas on this range set-up idea. holy smokes!

Gongs are always good. Tennis balls on strings, chains...but for a challenging chain, don't hang it vertically. Hang it between 2 points at different heights so it has a swoop. A hollow log you must shoot thru to a target beyond. An old gas cylinder at 100+ yards is fun, there's a noticeable delay between the shot and any hit. Charcoal briquets. Milk jugs filled with colored water are always fun to shoot.

Ohhh, forgot 2 of the more difficult target favorites -
  • A piece of 2" pipe bent or formed into a long 'J' ... looks like a big fish hook hung from a tree ... set out at 35-yards
  • A HUGE coil spring from some big truck, maybe 6" diameter coils, 5/8" round steel, coils about 2" apart from each other, maybe 14" tall ... set out at 25-yards
Those 2 targets tend to weed out all but the top shooters, so the rest of the course would be reasonably hittable ...

We use mostly steel critters for targets. Most of our shots tend to be on the short side due to terrain, so 50 yds. is about max. Whatever targets you select, they need to be highly mobile or noisy when hit, so that even those shooting .36 will make them react.. I set up a drag chain to limit swinging, or fasten a length of rope to the back of targets so they only swing a limited amount back and forth. Trails around here are usually 15-25 shots. Make things so that an 'average' shooter will hit about 75% of the time (it keeps them coming back); the experts will sort themselves out. Most of the clubs here use score cards that incorporate a 3" bullseye target at the top which is used as a single shot tiebreaker (closest to center X) and is the last shot at about 10+ yd. Make sure you have no 'skyline' shots, and all targets have a solid backstop that does not give ricochets. (I GPSmapped all of our course to be sure that no shots would go off of our property).

Gongs are always good. Tennis balls on strings, chains...but for a challenging chain, don't hang it vertically. Hang it between 2 points at different heights so it has a swoop. A hollow log you must shoot thru to a target beyond. An old gas cylinder at 100+ yards is fun, there's a noticeable delay between the shot and any hit. Charcoal briquets. Milk jugs filled with colored water are always fun to shoot.
Just a caution regarding old propane bottles. There was a propane bottle target at one of the local clubs that got pretty battered after a couple of seasons. At it's last appearance, somebody hit it, and the ball (we suspect) entered one of the deep dents, and deflected at an angle greater than 90 degrees, which sent it right back about 100 yds. to the camping area, where it broke a windshield and bounced off two campers before disappearing. Fortunately none of the many folks in camp got hit. Surely a freak accident, but because the balls seldom penetrate, it could happen any time. That being said. another club has an old oxy bottle hung about 250 yds out that rings like a bell (and nobody to get in the way of the ricochets).

My 2 cents. Keeping the weeds trimmed is enough work as you age. So steel targets hung on heavy chains helps cut the work.

All,

One that was always popular was we strung a 55 gallon drum between two trees
And ya had to sit "The Horse" load and fire at an awkwardly positioned target
We also would rig up a "squirrel " made a harness to hold a clay pigeon and ran the pull string over a branch range officer pulled the squirrel up the tree as you tried to hit it
Have to make SURE you have a good backstop for this. Our hills and hollers made great places for this one

Latest posts

Back