• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden warclubs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolffeone

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen, does anyone on this forum know of any makers of eastern woodland ball-headed warclubs. I have one made by Bill "Beaver Bill" Keeler and met Steven Shroyer at Dixon's this past weekend, and will probably order one from him.... Any other makers... thanks

lessen yer set on a professional looking repro ya can always head out into the woods n root around the base of saplings until ya find one with a nice ball shaped root, then just cut it off n dig er up. Let it dry some ,sand her down a bit,a little carving maybe some paint n then ya got yerself the real thing instead of one of the new fangled reproductions that look like everyone elses. just my 2 cents YMHS Birdman

Birdman said:
lessen yer set on a professional looking repro ...

Actually, a lot of the museum ones are just lumps of stumps. :haha:

That would be a cool way to go. Mine is hand made from a log. The curve is the curve of the maple log.

Club-photo2.jpg

According to tradition, a native american boy would tie a knot low on a young sapling tree. So by the time he was old enough to go warring the tree would be the right shape to start making his war club. The knot would have grown together just right. I doubt you want to wait 5-6 yrs or so. Billy

According to tradition, a native american boy would tie a knot low on a young sapling tree. So by the time he was old enough to go warring the tree would be the right shape to start making his war club. The knot would have grown together just right. I doubt you want to wait 5-6 yrs or so. Billy

Who told you that? Who's tradition?

If you've ever made one from root stock, which I have. The rootball is far superior to one carved from a burled sapling stalk or kiln dried lumber.

If doing it the way you suggest, once you get past the thin burled layer, it is all straight grained and the ball, if you could possibly get an appropriate size and shape, would pop off on impact with anything. If not during the carving process,then surely after. 5 years is not nearly enough time to develop a substantial burl either. Maybe for a walking stick, but you're looking at at least 10-15 years. And that's if the ants don't beat you to it.

If anyone would like to see what they should look like, You are all welcome to check out my profile to get the link. Even shows the carving process with no power tools. Guaranteed no cookie cutter clubs here.

Hey man, that's my mom holding it. When she shouted "Lucas!!!" I ran as quick as I could so it didn't get any dings in it.

ROTFL :rotf:

It was just something I read many years ago in school. An old book of woodlore. I'll check my documentation next time before throwing in my two cents. Billy

Bill,
Heck man!...Sounded logical to me! A guy can't learn unless he doesn't throw something out there and get replies! I always thought those ball clubs were a product by planting Croquet balls! :redface:

One way to make a war club is to search the woodlands for a fallen tree or large branch that is still alive. On these many of the smaller branches turn and start to grow upward. Cutting on either side of one of these upward growing branches will give you a straight handle and roughly cylindrical head that can be carved into a ball or other shape. I haven't gone out in the woods looking for materials in a long time, but used to run across one of these live but fallen trees every once in a while. You can make nice walking sticks from the odd growths and still have the rounded head to function both as a hand grip and a club head. Just made one for a lady friend who refuses to keep a gun for defence in her out of the way home. She liked the walking stick/war club quite well. It's her defence now.

Thanks guys. If you are extremely lucky you might find a good rootball and in a pinch what Kansas volunteer is suggesting. It's a tough call as one needs to be very are of the wood's grain. That can be done, but I have yet to see a historic example that is carved that way. But if you just want a beatin stick that will do. The best place to look for the right stock is on hillsides and riverbanks and they kinda grow out and up with a nice curve at the base. It's a lot of work just to dig them out especially in rocky soil and few are worth cutting down and even less for carving. It's not unimaginable to do one yourself, just have to know the tricks if you are shooting for a period piece.

Oooh, nice war clubs. I've been wanting to add a ball-headed war club to my collection for a while now. Nice that I've got a few good options open to me.

This is slightly off the subject, but the root ball of a dogwood makes the best beater that you ever used. I have used them for beating on a froe and it takes a lot of misuse to cause one to finally fray and break.

That being said, the root ball of a dogwood would make a very tough and usable head knocker with a longer handle. The nice think about dogwood is that they are "weed" trees and you can find them anywhere in the Midwest. The trees grow pretty fast and a 7 or 8 year old tree would probably suit. It wouldn't be as pretty as the machine made ones but it would work. Put a nail in the end like a lot of the originals had.

Dogwood is a really tough wood, I have made gluts to split trees from dogwood and they work quite well. Start the split with your steel wedge and then finish with the gluts.

Many Klatch

Like ATED said it is hard work just to dig them up. Just 2 weeks ago I digged 2 maples and 1 rowan/mountain ash from a friends home yard. They all were growing in a little hill slope and all had promising curve and rootball. So we shall see after they have dryed up well. Maybe first one 2010 Jan.

Back