• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden spoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anything BUT Yew......... :slap: :rotf:
apple would be best.......... :grin:
marc n tomtom

How did you cut the bowl part out? I try my dremel but it didn't work to good I know some people use a carving set but before I go out and buy a set I thought I would see what you had to say

Funny you should ask.
I made it in shop class in high school. I used a old small dull chisel. The instructor thought I was just screwing around at first but when the spoon began to take shape he brought me a set of small carving chisels....brand new in the box.

Since I was indeed just trying to kill the time, I was patient with the tools (which I think is key). When I was satisfied with the spoon I made a fork, but the semester ended and it actually not finished.
When I wasn't screwing around in shop class I actually made some nice things. I made a shooting box for muzzleloading and a clothing box for rendezvousing. Heck! me and a friend even secretly made a small cannon one day on the metal lathe. :grin:

Shhhh I cheat and purchase a pack of cheap wood cooking spoons and use them as a kit and modify them to suit :wink:

Thanks. TBII or III is what I use on practically everything I build, except for veneered pieces. Use hide glue for the veneers. The boards are usually gifts (except a couple for our own use), although I have sold a couple to local restaurants.

I prefer to use just plain old mineral oil, since it's easy to obtain, perfectly safe, and cheap. People I gift these kinds of things to don't usually have access to walnut or other specialty oils, and wood stuff needs regular oiling if it's used as intended. I always provide them with a care and cleaning instruction card, since many folks have never used a wood cutting board. Some think that vegetable oil can/should be used, but veggie oils tend to turn rancid and impart a nasty flavor to foods, especially salads and such that aren't cooked. I also recommend a vinegar/water mix be used to wipe them down after each use, rather than the store bought disinfect wipes or bleach.

I made this one from kiln dried cherry, despite the fact that the old timers carved green wood. I didn't have any. First I made a pine model, that took about 40 minutes. The cherry version took a few hours, and I used a lot of power tools. I also bought a $20 gouge. So I spent $20 and several hours to make a spoon that I found on a few web pages for $7. And I don't plan to make any more. But I might go back and thin this one just a bit more.

I rubbed it with food grade mineral oil.

I've carved many spoons over the years; I find it therapeutic and very satisfying to create something beautiful you can use every day. Here's some 18thC and earlier styles - I've used beech, ash, cherry, pear, sycamore, even oak.
These are around 9" long:
18thCSpoons_zps01ecbd3d.jpg

Here's two large (14") serving spoons in beech and sycamore:
18thCSpoons2_zpsf92b92d0.jpg

And some small-sized ones in beech and oak, including one with a hook at the end, and an 18" one:
Spoons4_zps2273abcf.jpg

Joolz said:
I've carved many spoons over the years; I find it therapeutic and very satisfying to create something beautiful you can use every day. Here's some 18thC and earlier styles - I've used beech, ash, cherry, pear, sycamore, even oak.
These are around 9" long:
18thCSpoons_zps01ecbd3d.jpg

Here's two large (14") serving spoons in beech and sycamore:
18thCSpoons2_zpsf92b92d0.jpg

And some small-sized ones in beech and oak, including one with a hook at the end, and an 18" one:
Spoons4_zps2273abcf.jpg
pondoro said:
I made this one from kiln dried cherry, despite the fact that the old timers carved green wood. I didn't have any. First I made a pine model, that took about 40 minutes. The cherry version took a few hours, and I used a lot of power tools. I also bought a $20 gouge. So I spent $20 and several hours to make a spoon that I found on a few web pages for $7. And I don't plan to make any more. But I might go back and thin this one just a bit more.

I rubbed it with food grade mineral oil.

Dang! now them are some serious spoons. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Back