• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden rifle case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I had originally thought I was going to make a leather covered wooden gun case, but have decided to make two of them out of wood only.

The one in the pictures is walnut, the other is out of hickory. I have hundreds of board feet of both woods on hand.

The boxes are still being built. The partition boards are not glued in it, just fitted yesterday. I still need to order the handles, locks and corner protectors. I will be using green pool table felt. My local pool table store gave me several scrap yards for free.

any ideas or suggestions for improvement are certainly welcomed.

thanks

Fleeer

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking high and low for hardware that will look appropriate and that I like.

Thanks for hortons info, had not been there yet. I do kinda like their corner protectors.

Thanks

fleener

Nice workmanship. You did a good job with the layout too. With the green felt and the finishing details it will be an heirloom case.

It's getting a little hard to find, especially the genuine antique stuff. I know a guy in Texas that does some great ironwork for his cannon carriages, and related things. A little far from you, but if you can't find ready made, he might be willing to make something to your specs. Take a look at some of his stuff here: especially the limber boxes and ammo chests.

Michael Elledge: http://www.jmelledge.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw, are you planning on the Brusso style hinges? With a long lid like that, you'll probably need 4 or 5 per box and I'd recommend also installing at least one Brusso lid support to keep them from pulling out. Similar to how I did this pistol box:

coltboxopen.jpg

wooden leaf hinges would be cool, but I would beat them up too much hauling the case around. These cases will be used and will have a few miles on them.

Fleener

Nice chassis you have built there friend. Is that a Pedersoli Gibbs long-range rifle, or an original? There used to be an antique trunk parts supplier who had a fine selection of correct hardware. Will poke around and report.
Hoep you are staying warm there in Iowa. We have been below zero the last two nights here in the central Oregon high desert.

Bill

thanks for the web site, I had not seen this one yet and I do like some of their stuff. We have been cold, but today is really nice.

The rifle is a alex henry made from piece and parts from the late Don Brown of Yakima WA.

The other case is for an original Rigby that I picked up in 2014.

thanks

Fleener

Here is the hickory case, with the Rigby in it. The partition boards are just loose and being fitted. Got all the hardware ordered today for both cases.

I took a block of wood and drilled a couple of holes in it, cut it in half and that is what is under and on top of the barrel. I plan on gluing the bottom half to the box. Really don't want to glue the other half to the lid. But like the idea of securing it with the top half. Looking for ideas......

Thanks

Fleener

Here is the hickory case, with the Rigby in it. The partition boards are just loose and being fitted. Got all the hardware ordered today for both cases.

I took a block of wood and drilled a couple of holes in it, cut it in half and that is what is under and on top of the barrel. I plan on gluing the bottom half to the box. Really don't want to glue the other half to the lid. But like the idea of securing it with the top half. Looking for ideas......

Thanks

Fleener

thanks, it is a nice looking rifle. I have had it out shooting just twice. First session my groups were in the 2.25 - 2.5" area. Second session I was able to get them down to the 1.25" area. I am hopeful that I can get it down to or under a MOA at 100 yards. In addition to the nice wood, the engraving is really extraordinary for a Rigby ML rifle. a rifle like this deserves a nice travel case. If I can get it shooting good enough, I am thinking that I just might shoot it in the world matches this coming sept.

I spent a few frustrating hours today in the shop trying to work out the wooden barrel clamps for the hickory box. I think I have it finally figured out. 3 hours of work and nothing but a learning experience to show for it.

Fleener

Back