• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a wooden ramrod for my Ped. Frontier rifle? I found the fiberglass ones but i think the price they ask is just stoopid.....but i cant find any place to buy the blanks...anyone got an idea?

yes but not in the size reqiured for a pedersoli frontier rifle....they are a wierd size. I believe somewhere in the area of 9mm

9mm = .354" and 3/8" = .375"

Making a ramrod is a basic muzzleloading skill that everybody should learn. If your rod does indeed measure .354" then buy a 3/8" blank and start scraping/sanding until it is a diameter that will fit your thimbles.

There should be enough meat on the new brass ends to file them down to that diameter also. Enjoy, J.D.

I have never dealt with him directly, but I am given to understand that Steve Bailey has pretty good rods... hickory in 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16 ... he's in the back of Muzzle Blasts magazine at (573) 768-6545 ... at three bucks a piece and a minimum order of ten, this might qualify as a bit spendy... send me a PM on what size your up for and I can take a few off your hands.

MSW said:
I have never dealt with him directly, but I am given to understand that Steve Bailey has pretty good rods... hickory in 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16 ... he's in the back of Muzzle Blasts magazine at (573) 768-6545 ... at three bucks a piece and a minimum order of ten, this might qualify as a bit spendy... send me a PM on what size your up for and I can take a few off your hands.

That sounds good if they are good blanks. And everyone needs, at least, ten ramrods. I think it is a law or something. :wink: I take no chances and have about 30, some here have more. :grin:

In the past, I have bought most from Dixie. I feel they are more likely to be useable, that is straight grain. Do not buy anything but hickory for wood rods, never ramin, sold by TOW. Never fiberglass. You should be able to refit the end that came with your rifle, always pin it on. I will try the suggested source the next time.

I have never got a blank that fit my thimbles. They all need sanding. You wont invest an hour making a ramrod. I do oil it after done, just like the stock. Of corse if you oil finish it its as strong as soaking it in coal oil for a year (the point being soaking them in coal oil adds little to their flexibility)

theres funny story about the end of the ram rod....I took it to the range the otherday...and ummm...kinda turned the ramrod into a black powder javelin launcher....i kinda dont have any ends left lol i guess im gonna ahve to do some sanding then.....i saw some discrepancies between hickory or ramin....ummm what is the difference?

Bryon said:
...i saw some discrepancies between hickory or ramin....ummm what is the difference?
Forget the ramin. It's the hickory one you want (tough & flexible).

Bryon said:
...i saw some discrepancies between hickory or ramin....ummm what is the difference?
Ramin is fairly weak and easy to break. It does not make a good material for muzzleloading ramrods.

Hickory is quite strong and takes a lot of effort to break.
It traditionally is the preferred wood for muzzleloaing ramrods.

MSW said:

I have bought well over 100 RR blanks from Steve Bailey. He is definitely the guy to get them from, as you won't find any as straight grained as his. I have dealt with allot of ML venders over the years & NONE of them supply RR's that compare to his.

Keith Lisle

Back