• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Ramrod for Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 1746 Willet Brown Bess. Anyone know of where I can pick up a wooden ramrod for it? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for having me in your forum!!!!!

Many here may not be familiar with your exact needs. It would be helpful if you could post the diameter and length you need and also whether it needs metal ends or other details.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess it uses a wooden ramrod, 42inches? It has to be tapered down to fit. I found the actual ramrod top, or head, and I still have the broken original. I have an order of 10 hickory 48 inch 7/16 coming. But I was hoping to find a ready made ramrod lol.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow! I have an original 1867 Chassepot and a 1861 Eurosport Springfield. Just getting into black powder and I love it.

If it hasn't been shortened, the Willets 1746 Bess made from the Track-of-the-Wolf kit, has a 46" barrel. The ramrod supplied with the kit is 48".

Very interesting. I was not aware of that particular model with the wood rr thing.
I hope you find a good piece of hickory for the rod. Also, I hope/suggest you also find a steel or Delrin rod to use at the range and/or for most of your shooting and keep the wood for when you need to be 'authentic'. A rod that long and slender is subject to breakage.

If you're not looking for an exact copy here's where you can get one made to your specs with out having it break on you but still look better than a synthetic one. http://www.periodramrod.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not clear from your post - is your Willit musket an original, or is it a replica? If original, you should by all means use the top piece you have, and even try to salvage the broken ramrod (for display).

And we are happy to have you here on the Forum.
What part of Pgh?

My musket is a replica!

I'm from Whitehall in the South Hills!

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I am going to make a hickory ramrod for show. I have a metal brown bess ramrod coming-that will be for the range.

The synthetic wood looking ramrod is intriguing. I just need to get my specs. That would be good for hunting.

Back