• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden cask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudnut

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How well does liquor hold up in an oak cask? Say brandy or rum, I want to get one for camp in a gallon size and wondered how long you will it keep,
Ive used wood barrel for water and know you should swell them up before a weekend ,but how about booze? :confused:

Well, they use them for aging liquors. It will impart flavor and color to your alcohol long term, or depending on what was in the keg before, short term. It will swell the wood also. I suggest soaking the keg with water first to swell it, then pour out and add your alcohol.

Btw most kegs are burned inside for color and flavor at distilleries.

Brandy is wine distilled and placed back into a wine barrel....Whiskey and bourbon both , by law must spend time in a cask...some up to 50 years....
Never let a barrel dry out.. Staves will shrink warp and crack...ruining the barrel...

Never let a barrel get infected (especially water kegs)....Alcohol will kill bacteria, But Aceto-bacteria can eat alcohol and will produce a slimy jellyfish like colony called a mother....once in a barrel it becomes a vinegar barrel for life.

Burning sulfur was, and still is used by some to sterilize oak wine casks....
A good barrel can be used for years and years if property maintained....although some styles of spirits only use a barrel once.....and others never use a new barrel.

These are brand new with a spigot and a plug .I want to carry rum or brandy in it

If it's made to hold water in a living history setting, it's probably paraffin lined.

A properly swelled cask or barrel will hold the alcohol fine for short periods.

As pointed out a charred cask or barrel is normally used to age some alcoholic beverages. The charring acts like activated charcoal, and draws out certain impurities, plus does remove a bit of the strength of the alcohol. Certain styles of distilled spirits are aged in specific casks that have previously held a type of wine. So some whiskeys are aged in used, red wine casks, some in used sherry casks, etc. Others are in straight, charred wood casks. Not only is the cask itself changing the distilled spirit, but the previous contents seeping out of the wood is as well.

Cheaper distilled spirits save aging time by being run through an activated charcoal filter, then being placed in a cask to conform to legal requirements.

Now I wrote "short period of time". Well if it's paraffin lined, it probably will sit indefinitely. IF it's a charred cask, and some folks use these at living history events for water, as they tend to make the local water taste a bit better. So if you use one for alcohol, then you will lose some of the alcohol over time due to evaporation through the wood. We're talking if you stored a gallon of rum for a year to use at the same event next year you probably would have like 7/8 of a gallon when you opened the cask. This is what is called the "angel's share".

A small charred cask, whether it's full of alcohol or water, needs to be stored on its side and rotated each month about 1/4 turn, so that the top most stave does not dry out. As was written before, once swelled, it should not be left to dry out, ever. Remember too that if it is a charred cask, if you return it to water use after having stored some spirit..., it will have a faint flavor of the previous spirit that was once stored within it.

LD

That looks like the ones Ive been eyeing. I believe the one I want is charred and only 1liter so it so it wont make it to next years rondy ,at least not with the same liquid I put in it this year :thumbsup:

Should work fine......To store it between rendezvous I would fill it with cheap vodka or better yet, everclear..(grain alcohol)....
Store it someplace cool like a basement.....But don't let it freeze.

If it freezes with Everclear in it, there might be a more serious problem than a cracked stave.

Back