• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodbury School

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just reflecting on Hershel and Frank's modern school of rifle style. The Handmade Rifle is undoubtedly one of the most elegant rifles ever made. Would it be safe to say that the Handmade Rifle is the apogee of the school? Despite being what I would consider of a Pennsylvania style, it is what they chose to build as a final be-all end-all of their work, at least for that one fund-raiser. Yet it is the final epitome of a Woodbury, Kentucky school rifle.

Anyone know why they deviated so far from the SMR architecture for that rifle? It's iron mounted, but it ain't an SMR by any other standard. Now there was a lot of hype and media around that rifle, but that does nothing to detract from it's beauty, quality or their skill. Hershel has the jump on a lot of us younger folks in having began building rifles some 50-60 odd years ago. He helped define our modern hobby and so if I were to put anyone on a pedestal regarding style and architecture, it's probably him.

My thoughts are every builder, after a time, begins to build a cataloge of favored shapes and features he knowingly or unknowingly
begins to use. after a time these become a 'go to" for the builder even though he may begin a build with a distinct thought as to what he is starting?
builders in Lancaster deviated from the Lehigh, or York and so on. These favored feature become a school or style to be replicated. As these skills are passed on..as in the case of Frank and John house.. they learned the style of their teacher. while each builder then adds his influence the basic style learned, become the normal influence in each build. Woodburry school is no different. while not what WE think a SMR is or should be.. it is what is being made in that local and influence... the skill of a modern builder, that is NOT building one particular style, is to be able to adapt and build other schools successfully using their features..and not show your own bias or influence..

this works in blacksmithing as well.. you learn from your teacher and then your style begins to show through.. although you often show a commonality with the guy before you!( again as in Frank and John )

Watch the video of Herschel building a Hawken. His skills are truly evident as he builds in a style that varies from his norm and conforms to all the salient feature of the plains rifle..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Apologies up front for what may be a somewhat rambling post.

Can't speak to their rationale on that specific rifle. Woodbury, in general, is my favorite of all the schools - both early and contemporary (and that includes looking at builders who carry on Mr. House's influences, like Ian Pratt and Steve Davis). I would argue that, semantically speaking, that rifle is an SMR, based on the idea that it was constructed in the South, in a somewhat hilly region (ok, Woodbury isn't exactly in the Appalachians, but close enough). Most importantly, it was built by someone recognized as a key founder of this contemporary stylistic variation and clearly based on his own vast experiences and preferences of what he likes to see in a rifle. In other words, it's an SMR because Herschel built it, not because a bunch of other people can agree on the extent to which it mirrors early 19th century rifles from the same general region.

Granted, I'm not any kind of academic authority on the subject, either. I guess I just mean that if a "founder" of a given stylistic variation does something not exactly in keeping with that style, im not sure that gives the rest of us license to say he didn't do it "right."

Back