• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wonder Just How Many Ways Can One Load a Smoothbore...??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its nice to see... you know if you have no one to show you like that... you think it could blow up or something.

Just being told yes that's OK.... but seeing it done šŸ˜† perfect.

I'm not afraid anymore.

2 oz of shot...

875 grains?! Ouch! I'll bet that kicked a bit! :D

Another great watch, thanks!

I read in 3 places..

90grns... 2oz.. as the most I've seen for dp10ga and that it kicks a little

One person once told me to much powder and it burns what it can the rest blows out a waist... I don't know, I wouldn't try.

Like the snow test... keep pouring a higher charge.. until you see it on the snow... to see how much your barrel can burn.. read that 20 years ago so it might Be fuzzy... I'd say a chronograph these days.

Last edited:
Lol šŸ˜†

I tossed a Pyrodex pellet in a šŸ”„... I dunno I wanted to see... it was a safe area no one nothing around.

I was surprised... POOF no more camp fire.

People joke that all this powder in the basement.. we blow up the neighborhood.. I think it would put the fire out in a snap.

Great video Mark! Just had a .50 rifle bored smooth to .550 by Mr Hoytā€”
Let the experiments begin.
Hope to see you at Hawken Classic

I read in 3 places..

90grns... 2oz.. as the most I've seen for dp10ga and that it kicks a little

One person once told me to much powder and it burns what it can the rest blows out a waist... I don't know, I wouldn't try.

Like the snow test... keep pouring a higher charge.. until you see it on the snow... to see how much your barrel can burn.. read that 20 years ago so it might Be fuzzy... I'd say a chronograph these days.
Don't kick much at all.
Oh, and nothing gets waisted if you use 4f.

LOL !! Fun VDO Mr. Maniac ! I love my smoothbores and always spout their versatility . In the summer , to save my hornets nest material for winter , I like using green grass and green plantain leaves for wadding , free , they dont burn and darn handy still they are just there at yer feet ! LOL ... plus , kinda neat , I saw where they found and original trade gun in Minnesota and it was loaded and the person had used grass as wadding , pretty neat . I always use 60 gr. of powder for everything and MAN ! It knocks the deer off their feet quite literally ! Oh like all the smoothbores but I'm a N.W. trade gun fanatic and thats what I make . Big dependable lock , light weight and Love that big trigger guard in the winter for gloved hand ! Thanks for a great VDO .... Take care

I have trouble thinking less..

Less shot...

Less powder..

I know they had there guns dialed in back then.. and they were cheap.

One shot one kill..
It is not that they were cheap back then. Out on the frontier supplies were hard to come by. They experimented and came up with the smallest caliber that would do the job (to save lead) and the smallest powder charge (to save powder) that would do the job. This enabled them to keep shooting in defense or food gathering.

This here blah blah " less powder , more shot" thing.....
If you put 2oz on top of 80-90 gns of powder that IS less powder, more shot. šŸ™„

I thought that.. just never looked into what affected pressure more the charge or weight...

a friends dad told us about shooting "chippies" [ sparrows] with slingshots off the wires along the train tracks to make stew during the depression

Yup they went back in time there kinda.

To be honest big eels from the river lol are probably the best place to get them.

I've seen "people" here take home anything they catch.. a bucket full.. I kinda kicked them out of my fishing spot over a frog and I did feel bad about it.. big frog.

I'm an ass.. it's good food. They were eating the fish. They weren't poor either where we were... they just new how to eat.

To be honest the fish in the store are no good. I can't eat a trout from there.. a bucket of everything in the river is better fresh fish.

The river had fish for everyone, there's no way you'd clean that river out of fish.... i was catching bass and you know I could put more than one big bass in that bucket for them.. I could have been a better person that day. I was teenager then.

Last edited:
It is not that they were cheap back then. Out on the frontier supplies were hard to come by. They experimented and came up with the smallest caliber that would do the job (to save lead) and the smallest powder charge (to save powder) that would do the job. This enabled them to keep shooting in defense or food gathering.
Save time to... tree of birds means quick dinner. Can't hunt all the time

Back