• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Witnessed Unsafe Behaviors

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a muzzle loading shoot many years ago and the guy next to me was shooting a replica 1863 rifle. What he was doing was slamming the steel ramrod down on the seated bullet. He was told by me and others to stop, it was unnecessary and he was probably damaging the bullet. As well he may cause a spark and set off the charge. He did not listen and said based on his research that is the way it was done during the civil war. I moved away from him and none to soon. Sure enough he slammed the rod again and the gun went off!! He was very lucky, his fingers were off the rod and only lightly burned. The rod went through the range over hang roof and was never seen again. The guy was very shaken and left after he regained his composure with his tail between his legs and a couple of sore fingers.
Battlefield dug minie balls from Civil War sites sometimes show evidence of being "hard-rammed", but that would be in the heat of battle or fighting fouling, not that it was "done" that way during the war. This has been an interesting thread! Thanks, all.

This IS a muzzleloading forum and black powder is black powder. The methods to keep the fouling soft are the same across multiple platforms.
Was just being humorous. As it is I don't blow in the barrel of my muzzleloaders, but I don't have any reason for doing so, or not doing so... it just simply doesn't cross my mind. I just spit patch and keep on truckin. I suppose I oughta try it sometime? Hot air is cheaper than patches.

That was not aimed at you Travis, that was to let those who were complaining about it being a muzzleloading forum know that methods of controlling BP fouling may also be found in other venues.

If we ignore lessons learned from other sources we are poorer for it.

It would be my contention that the buffalo hunters of the late 1800's learned their methods of controlling fouling from those who came before them.

I would think blowing down the bore would “fan the flames”. When did this practice get started? Is it a bad idea that has persisted to this day?
Blowing down the bore may keep the fowling soft and make following shots easier to ram but the best practice would be swabbing between shots with something like moose milk which dries quickly and creates better consistency for me. If you like blowing down the bore use a piece of tube long enough to keep your thinking parts out of danger as stated by another member.

Ooo, I like where this is going. Now let's argue about blow tube vs wiping rod, and lubricant to boot? Grease cookies too! And my method is the best. 😆

Travis, you just spoiled all the fun .......... OK, not fun, but it does get the blood moving in some of the group.

i have a hard time understanding how a tube is any safer.
seems this will only concentrate the possible expulsion of these theoretical explosions into ones mouth/lungs.
if one is so dimly aware that he can't recall having just fired his weapon, hearing and seeing the ignition, feeling the impulse of recoil against his body, seeing the discharge of the load in a glorious cloud of white smoke, and observing the new hole in his target, Well that person shouldn't be anywhere near any weapon more dangerous then fingernail clippers.
all i'm going to say.
am going to watch something less controversial , like Alec Baldwin explaining how it wasn't his fault he shot a young girl to death.
tube
[t(y)o͞ob]

NOUN
  1. a long, hollow cylinder of metal, plastic, glass, etc. for holding or transporting something, chiefly liquids or gases.

Last edited:
i have a hard time understanding how a tube is any safer.
seems this will only concentrate the possible expulsion of these theoretical explosions into ones mouth/lungs.
if one is so dimly aware that he can't recall having just fired his weapon, hearing and seeing the ignition, feeling the impulse of recoil against his body, seeing the discharge of the load in a glorious cloud of white smoke, and observing the new hole in his target, Well that person shouldn't be anywhere near any weapon more dangerous then fingernail clippers. . . . .

Yup . . .I agree . . . .

After reading some of the questions from some people on other forums, I question whether they should be anywhere near firearms!

If these people show up on the firing line at my club, I’d hi-tail it for home!

How can a person with NORMAL intelligence, NOT KNOW he just fired his rifle!!

I sometimes wonder just how much the average range masters know about muzzleloader safety. Oh boy, I can just hear the feathers ruffling now.

I've been to more than one range, not all,, where the thought was, and I say was, a muzzleloader wasn't considered loaded unless capped or primed. I've explained to more than one range officer I need to discharge my gun before the line gets shutdown for a target check. I might be partially loaded and want to complete this action and fire before sending shooters down range, some people can be very impatient. I've since adopted the practice of letting the rangemaster know right up front if I'm shooting a muzzleloader I need to clear my weapon before he sends folks down range.

Elmer Keith mentioned blowing down the barrel to soften the fouling in the Colt Navy he started carrying when he was 14. He learned from the real old timer's who had used them in their heyday. So, if Elmer Keith said it, it's good enough for me, but that said I don't make it a practice.

Last edited:
Whenever there is one of these threads that seems to always degenerate into the two opposing sides of the blowing down the barrel argument; I always reflect that humanity as a species would never have evolved to our current state if every muzzleloading shooter during the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries had stopped what they were doing to wipe the bore, rifled or smooth, after every shot.

When I got started in muzzleloading in 1971, blowing down the barrel was an accepted practice, and was mentioned in every piece of how-to literature written about muzzleloading. To include, The Gun Digest, The Lyman Black Powder Handbook, Muzzle Blasts magazine, Muzzleloader magazine, Outdoor Life magazine, Field and Stream magazine, the Herter's catalog, The Whole Earth Catalog, and others.

The reason it was mentioned virtually anytime a muzzleloading rifle was being talked about, was because shooters had come to the realization several hundred years previously that the hot, moist breath of a human, when introduced to the bore of a just fired muzzleloading rifle, or smoothbore, would serve to both keep the fired black powder fouling soft, but would also, because of the abundant moisture contained in expelled human breath, serve to extinguish any lingering sparks down at the breech plug's face/touch hole.

I blew down the barrel of three different flintlock longrifles over a span of 25 years, and not once during the thousands, upon thousands of times that I did so, was I ever in danger of harming myself. Not once.

That's because I knew with absolute certainty, that the rifle was empty each & every time that I blew down the barrel. Because, I had just finished firing that flintlock rifle. And, there was no way to be injured, other than possibly chipping a tooth on the barrel, which would be carelessness on my part. I certainly could not be shot, because the rifle's bore would be empty.

Of all the high risk activities that I have engaged in during my lifetime, I would have to put riding a motorcycle in traffic on an interstate highway to be at the top of my list as the most dangerous thing that I have ever done.

Far more dangerous than riding a bicycle in city traffic, which would be #2 on my list..

Ice climbing, rock climbing, mountain climbing, white water rafting, canoeing on rivers, mountain bicycle racing, road bicycle racing, logging, working as a machinist for 2.5 years, welding, forging, working on a farm, picking fruit off of tall ladders; all of the above things are inherently more dangerous than blowing down the barrel of an empty rifle that has just been fired.

I totally resent having other people take away my right to do as my muzzleloading predecessors have done for hundreds of years, in order to try, unsuccessfully in my opinion, to keep the idiots, the clumsy, the inattentive, the stupid, and the careless, who are constantly amongst us, safe from themselves.

You can't legislate competence, intelligence, or attentiveness.

Last edited:
Whenever there is one of these threads that seems to always degenerate into the two opposing sides of the blowing down the barrel argument; I always reflect that humanity as a species would never have evolved to our current state if every muzzleloading shooter during the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries had stopped what they were doing to wipe the bore, rifled or smooth, after every shot.

When I got started in muzzleloading in 1971, blowing down the barrel was an accepted practice, and was mentioned in every piece of how-to literature written about muzzleloading. To include, The Gun Digest, The Lyman Black Powder Handbook, Muzzle Blasts magazine, Muzzleloader magazine, Outdoor Life magazine, Field and Stream magazine, the Herter's catalog, The Whole Earth Catalog, and others.

The reason it was mentioned virtually anytime a muzzleloading rifle was being talked about, was because shooters had come to the realization several hundred years previously that the hot, moist breath of a human, when introduced to the bore of a just fired muzzleloading rifle, or smoothbore, would serve to both keep the fired black powder fouling soft, but would also, because of the abundant moisture contained in expelled human breath, serve to extinguish any lingering sparks down at the breech plug's face/touch hole.

I blew down the barrel of three different flintlock longrifles over a span of 25 years, and not once during the thousands, upon thousands of times that I did so, was I ever in danger of harming myself. Not once.

That's because I knew with absolute certainty, that the rifle was empty each & every time that I blew down the barrel. Because, I had just finished firing that flintlock rifle. And, there was no way to be injured, other than possibly chipping a tooth on the barrel, which would be carelessness on my part. I certainly could not be shot, because the rifle's bore would be empty.

Of all the high risk activities that I have engaged in during my lifetime, I would have to put riding a motorcycle in traffic on an interstate highway to be at the top of my list as the most dangerous thing that I have ever done.

Far more dangerous than riding a bicycle in city traffic, which would be #2 on my list..

Ice climbing, rock climbing, mountain climbing, white water rafting, canoeing on rivers, mountain bicycle racing, road bicycle racing, logging, working as a machinist for 2.5 years, welding, forging, working on a farm, picking fruit off of tall ladders; all of the above things are inherently more dangerous than blowing down the barrel of an empty rifle that has just been fired.

I totally resent having other people take away my right to do as my muzzleloading predecessors have done for hundreds of years, in order to try, unsuccessfully in my opinion, to keep the idiots, the clumsy, the inattentive, the stupid, and the careless, who are constantly amongst us, safe from themselves.

You can't legislate competence, intelligence, or attentiveness.

WELL SAID! Better than my feeble attempts and SPOT ON!

As I have read through the different post on this thread it has come down to two different subjects. First, stupid people doing stupid things. That is why we should not interfere with natural selection. When we do, it haunts us for years if not generations to come. Second, to blow or not to blow is the question. If you choose to blow down the barrel (I do) and are not sure the rifle has been fired, see the first part of my post above.

Last edited:
I just re-watched Centennial for the second time in my life last week, as the first in 1978 when it was a major TV hit. I just watched Pasquinel blow down the bore after taking a attacking native American out, insuring a clear bore and touch hole for the next shot. I really do not think this was a bad thing to do. Shoot the attacker or blow down the bore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back