• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Winter project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mart

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well fellers this may seem early but in October the Alaska dividends come out and I figured I better start gathering information now. I am planning a rifle, my first home built muzzleloader. I have done many centerfire rifle stocks for myself and am fairly capable with tools - despite the two missing digit tips (left thumb and left middle). I am looking at a left handed flinter, 62 cal (we have big critters here in Alaska) in the early Virginia style. Particularily from Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders. How are their products? Warranty? Service? I like the Chambers rifles but they are limited on their left hand choices. I should add that I do have muzzleloader experience, flint and percussion so am not new to shooting one just building one. Any advice you could send my way would be appreciated.

Ron,

I'm kind of a delicate thing. I don't know if I could pack around a bigger gun.

Mart

You seem to have narrowed it down.With your capabilities you should consider building form a blank.
Make your own mistakes instead of fixing others. :rotf:

I have used track of the wolf for three builds. I never had any problems with their shipping or quality.

Chekc out pecatonica guns, or those by Jim Chambers. He offers a cumberland rifle kit that is excellent. Pecatonica not only sells wood, but will do as much or as little on the stock as you want, and their kits use excellent parts. Expect to pay up to $800 for parts, regardless of where you go.

Mart,

Here's a photo of a Mark Silver Virginia I just finished from a Chamber's kit.

His kits are the absolute best. IMHO
100_0611.jpg

100_0624.jpg

.60 cal and I'm sure you could special order a barrel if needed. Oh yeah, it shoots too.
MarkSilverVirginia001.jpg

Beautiful gun! I really like the Chambers rifles but not much available in left hand. He offers the Haines and Pennsylvania Fowler but the Virginia, my favorite is not offered in left hand that I am aware of. Mart

mart,

The lack of left handed kits is mainly due to the availability the the left handed locks.
I don't know of any round faced English left handed locks.
You should check R.E Davis as well to see what they offer.

Back