• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williams FP Hawken peep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with or know which Lyman 17A globe front sight works best for target shooting with a Williams FP-Hawken rear sight on my .50-cal. Renegade? ”” Lyman 17AHB .404 or 17AML .494.
Won't be shooting past 100 yards for range targets.

No replies from the forum so just on a hunch, I went with the taller Lyman 17AUG at .584. Looks like it's going to work very well with my Williams FP-Hawken peep. It's going to be interesting testing to see if I'm more accurate with the peep than with the open adjustable rear sight and front blade that came on the Renegade. The stock sight is pretty darned accurate out to 35 yards. After that .... well, it's a bit tougher to group with 68-year-old eyes.

Kinda depends on the shape of your face and how you hold that Renegade. TC's have high combs to allow scope use, so "burying" your head for low sights is a poor setup if you have much in the way of cheek bones. I'm betting you made a great choice with or without the cheek bones.

I've had my 17 on and off several guns. Delightful to use for targets, and probably for your hunting there in OK. I liked it a lot for hunting until I got the globe packed with snow. Oops.

I'm lucky, I have Indian blood in me and high cheek bones. I've never had any trouble with any ML or rifle I've ever shot. I'm really looking forward to using these new sights. Can't wait, but it's turning really cold and super windy in Northern Oklahoma for the next 3 days, so I gotta wait till next weekend. Need February to get over with so I can get to a little bit more hospitable shooting weather. :thumbsup:

Back