• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will the Pietta 1858 Remington shoot, better believe it.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
This target is the culmination of a few cylinders fired to obtain zero. The two taped holes are the last sight adjustment shots, the ragged hole to the center are eight consecutive shots from two different cylinders at 25 yards, fired from rest off the vehicle hood. The load was 17 grains of Graf's 3-f BP, Lee DC mould cast .454 RB, one dry thin hard wool felt over powder wad, and two 1/4" softer wool felt wads, well lubed with bees wax/vegetable oil mixture, followed by ball seated with sprue up. I made the punch up to make my own wads.
Target.jpg

After researching loads online, I arrived at the 17 grains of 3-f as being the optimum load many shooters seemed to agree upon as being the most accurate. I had bought extra spouts for the flask, thinking I would just cut them down to obtain load. But having some heavy walled brass tubing, I ran a little volume/diameter/length math and then bored it out on the mini lathe, checked the charge throw, and by luck and by gosh, it was dead on. Turned it down for a snug fit, leaving a slight taper on one end to insure a tight fit when fully inserted into one of the spouts.
Spouts.jpg

Spout.jpg

IMO, the Pietta was one heck of a quality buy, and I thank all the guys who recommended it.
Group.jpg

I have 3 Piettas , 2-36 cal and 1-44 cal. in '58 Rem and like them a lot. I also have the Kirst converter cylinder for the 36s and an R&D conversion cylinder for the 44. Haven't had a chance to shoot those yet, since I have only recently purchased them, and I have been busy trying to keep the snow off the driveway! Emery

See, we told ya them Target Remmy's shoot good. :grin: That is one nice group ya got there. I may have to try that load in mine. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Tan,

Congrats on the load development and the tooling for the spout! Nice photo of your shootin' iron and all of the stuff, including that holster that looks very fimiliar!

And, Oh, by the way, that target don't look too bad either! :thumbsup: :bow: :) :shocked2:

Dave

That is an outstanding group TANS! I'm glad you listened to us. I might need to try that loading out for mine as well. :thumbsup:

Yep, it was you, Rebel, and some other guys that convinced me to forego the Uberti for the Pietta, and glad I did. Still rather amazed they can put out that quality for the end retail price.

I will be trying the Lee conicals next, will stay with a light load for them too. Sure makes it nicer with less fouling and the accuracy with RB was top notch.

The Tradition's aluminum base loading stand works OK and beats loading in the gun. But it is a bit too small and lightweight for my likes, methinks I will be building a more robust one

Blizzard of 93 said:
good shooting, good info and good fotos. rabbits are in danger with that sort of markmanship.

And there is open season on them year round here in Arizona. :)

Thats right, you have a holster just like it. Good buy for the price aren't they.

Rebel said:
See, we told ya them Target Remmy's shoot good. :grin: That is one nice group ya got there. I may have to try that load in mine. Congrats. :thumbsup:

If an old klutz like me with bad eyes can do that good, makes me wonder what a real pistolero could do with it. :shocked2:

Someday (someday with a big ?) I might get around to trying out one of those conversions.

What cartridge do you use in the .36, .38 Special or .38 S&W? Isn't the bore a little large for .358" dia. bullets?

But isn't the .38 long Colt also .358 diameter, while the .38 short Colt is .375 diameter.

I'm just going to have to get my Pietta '58 Rem 'Buffalo Hunter' model out and burn some charcoal in it and post some targets. I've shot that good a few times at about 20 paces.

Blizzard of 93 said:
I'm just going to have to get my Pietta '58 Rem 'Buffalo Hunter' model out and burn some charcoal in it and post some targets. I've shot that good a few times at about 20 paces.

Look forward to seeing the results. Seems Pietta works out for most as to accuracy

Tans, I haven't had a chance to shoot the conversion cylinder yet. The fellow I bought it from said he used factory swaged hollow base wad cutters and they shot fine. Regular 38s would tumble as they are too small and don't upset. He also said he had used 375 RB in a belled 38 Spec case, crimped with the sizing die. These also shot well but needed more time to experiment as they shot a vertical string. Guess it's up to me to do that now. Emery

Tan, you probably just saved me a couple of months of fooling around. I just bought a Pietta 1858 Remington and I was wondering what to load it with. Thanks for sharing.

Many Klatch

I have a Pietta .36 for which I also have an R&D conversion cylinder in .38 Spl.
I got the best groups using a Lyman 358430 bullet (195grs. nominal). I cast them in 1-20 alloy. They work quite well. (I use them, also, in my Webley 38/200.)
I am away from my load books at the moment and so I do not remember the load data, just the bullet.
Pete

I have been wanting a 1858 44 cal. 5-1/2" I've just about decided on the cimmaron, but is the 40 or so dollar add on cost money well spent as compared to a peitta from cabelas? Read a little bit in the archives,it didn't help me narrow the choice between the two. Can anyone gice me a little nudge in a direction?

Tanz, Thats a fine set-up you put together. Nice group, too!

Rusty

Latest posts

Back