• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will a flintlock stop a bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if the guys in wapiti used a flintlock we have an anwser to the thread. Larry

RickD said:
These are your words "just because it aint legal dont mean they didnt hunt it! like i said, i brought grizz claws home with me "..Looks to me like your saying the bears were poached and the claws removed and now you have the claws..Seems a tad illegal to me..Also on the eagle feathers I do hope you have the paper work for them
i never said they were poached, and no i dint ask the circumstances under which they were taken. and yes i have my paper work for my Shoshone back ground

Not sure out there but most places, when transporting any bear part, you need written permission from the original person who got the bear with his tag # on the permission slip.

Sorry I guess you missed my point..I was asking if you had the permit to possess eagle feathers..Even Native Americans need to apply for the feathers..

:bow: :hmm: everytime i come to this general site,,,im impressed with the amount of input to this question.

what is the record for the most reply's to a post anyway? :thumbsup: :idunno:

bigted said:
:bow: :hmm: everytime i come to this general site,,,im impressed with the amount of input to this question.

Tis true, some threads it is best to wear hip high rubber boots and carry a shovels just to get out of it. :wink:

bigted said:

I believe this may have the record, although the thread on "blowing down the barrel" thread has, at last count, 8247 views.

There is just something about bear threads on every forum I visit that makes them go on and on, with heaps and heaps of BS thrown in for good measure.

karwelis said:
just because it aint legal dont mean they didnt hunt it! like i said, i brought grizz claws home with me
That statement right there removes any credibility you may have had with anyone I know. :shake: :barf:

Jack Wilson said:
karwelis said:
just because it aint legal dont mean they didnt hunt it! like i said, i brought grizz claws home with me
That statement right there removes any credibility you may have had with anyone I know. :shake: :barf:
let me guess your the one that would let the bear eat him.

RickD said:
Its pointless to go on..
its been pointless for a very long time. y'all still think you can shoot bears in the head. i mean seriously, at say 50 yards, traveling at 40+mph head bouncing up and down, its gonna take what 2 seconds to close the distance? several of you said shoot him in the eye, or sever the spine. and i didnt read anything about first hand knowledge about having to shoot grizz. and most from folks in the east, not grizz country. like ive said, and one other here that lives in wapiti, they are tough hombres! his kids school looks like Auschwitz because of the grizz problem. and im sure he knows at least one person who has had to shoot grizz. OK so you cant get tags for them, big deal. if your hunting elk, and a grizz becomes a serious issue, then you have to take the grizz. you dont stand there and become lunch. you know it was very petty trying to discredit me by picking apart the legalities of hunting grizz, just because of the facts i was trying to relay didnt fit the small view if what you thought you knew. the fact remains, i saw the pelts, i have claws, and the meat was tasty. granted i havent hunted grizz yet. but i do have a trip planned for this fall to hunt grizz in canada. it will be a traditional hunt with a couple of brothers, also traditional.

karwelis said:
Jack Wilson said:
karwelis said:
let me guess your the one that would let the bear eat him.
Nah, but I'd let him eat you. :rotf:

karwelis said:
RickD said:
Its pointless to go on..
its been pointless for a very long time. y'all still think you can shoot bears in the head. i mean seriously, at say 50 yards, traveling at 40+mph head bouncing up and down, its gonna take what 2 seconds to close the distance? several of you said shoot him in the eye, or sever the spine. and i didnt read anything about first hand knowledge about having to shoot grizz. and most from folks in the east, not grizz country. like ive said, and one other here that lives in wapiti, they are tough hombres! his kids school looks like Auschwitz because of the grizz problem. and im sure he knows at least one person who has had to shoot grizz. OK so you cant get tags for them, big deal. if your hunting elk, and a grizz becomes a serious issue, then you have to take the grizz. you dont stand there and become lunch. you know it was very petty trying to discredit me by picking apart the legalities of hunting grizz, just because of the facts i was trying to relay didnt fit the small view if what you thought you knew. the fact remains, i saw the pelts, i have claws, and the meat was tasty. granted i havent hunted grizz yet. but i do have a trip planned for this fall to hunt grizz in canada. it will be a traditional hunt with a couple of brothers, also traditional.

I believe when I was out in Wyoming for Pronghorns, I was told the law there was all wildlife had to be left alone. That is if you hit something with a vehicle, you left where it lay. I remember seeing several mulies dead off the side of the highway from Casper to Douglas. You also couldn't keep anything wild as a pet. I don't know what the law exactly is but in a case where a Grizz had to be shot, I'm sure it would have to be reported, most likely confiscated too. Or at least any transportation of it's parts, I'm sure theres rules to follow. Hell just TO get black bear parts that were legally taken in N.Y, you have to have a signed permission slip with the hunters name and tag # and date taken, to get it to me here in R.I. I'm sure we have some Wyoming members here that could clarify that.

Takes a lot to rattle me but I'm sure I would come unglued in the presence of a Grizzly charging me. I would hope I could keep my cool well enough to stick a barrel of a long gun or my hand with a pistol in it, in it's mouth. Because in that situation, I know thats the only chance I have to live.

The point I was trying to make was as Swampy says..I have serious doubts if you shot a grizzly attacking you that they would let you keep the bear let alone give away its body parts to someone in another state..Really has nothing to do with a head shot on a grizzly but more into the laws of shooting one in the lower 48..

Swampy said:
Not sure out there but most places, when transporting any bear part, you need written permission from the original person who got the bear with his tag # on the permission slip.

How come you don't need the BEAR'S permission!? :grin:
Also I'm full blooded Scrawnee. Does that count?
:rotf:

50 Yards? 50 Yards?!? No one ever said 50 yards nor implied it. The first thread and ALL posts relevant to that clearly spoke of a "Bear Charge", totally "self defense", and NOT HUNTING a bear, but point blank defense of self to stop a surprise bear charge. 50 yards is hunting the bear. Anyone shooting at a bear 50 yards away would have one hell of an uphill battle claiming it was self defense to the authorities investigating the incident.

One the astonishing things about trying to have any discussion on this is the introduction of conditions which dismiss the premise in order to forward whatever conclusion that is already held and to support that conclusion.

If a bear is in your face about the biggest thing you will have as a target is his.

Back