• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why the "Skychief" load works?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CapPopper said:
Well if I had to guess id say the heavy wad keeps up with the shot but because of it weight drops very quickly compared to the shot so it rapidly falls out of the way (same reason a heavy minie hits so much lower than a ball) where as the thin light over shot wads hit the air outside the barrel and slow very very rapidly id say they try to spin as well like a dropped playing card or sheet of paper but since they have so much surface area they slow down and do this flip/spin thing while the shot goes around them likely within a few feets of the muzzle which throws the shot in all sorts of directions .... Just my take but the heavy lubed wad wouldn't slow down would hit much lower than the shot and fall out of the way of the column and in this way doesn't disturb the shot anywhere near as much
:metoo:

The only other thing I could see though its less likely and if it was also an issue the skycheif load solves as well would be similar to modern shotguns pushing the wad through the shot column maybe its a combination of both I don't know but those are the only reasons it could work that I see

CapPopper said:
The only other thing I could see though its less likely and if it was also an issue the skycheif load solves as well would be similar to modern shotguns pushing the wad through the shot column maybe its a combination of both I don't know but those are the only reasons it could work that I see
Smokeless does not produce the volume of gasses BP does.
It is the only conclusion I can muster up as to why muzzleloaders kick the shot column in the rear.
B.

If it even happens idk cause the gasses should be moving much slower than the shot once the over powder wad clears the muzzle

CapPopper said:

I'm still unconvinced. Not meaning to go :eek:ff but I recall using shot capsules in my (hide the children :wink: ) modern .44 mag. and .22 mag. pistols. Both shot doughnut patterns. Not a bad thing, for me, actually. They were snake killers. I just aimed for the center of the snake body and shot hit them in two places. :shocked2: Really.

Rifling will do that lol even a rifled shotgun barrel throws donut shaped patterens

Also the contenders that were rifled and had the shot capsule deal on the end. Well it did help cut the capsule open but it also stopped a lot of the spinning which helped patterens as well.

Rifleman1776 said:
CapPopper said:

I'm still unconvinced. Not meaning to go :eek:ff but I recall using shot capsules in my (hide the children :wink: ) modern .44 mag. and .22 mag. pistols. Both shot doughnut patterns. Not a bad thing, for me, actually. They were snake killers. I just aimed for the center of the snake body and shot hit them in two places. :shocked2: Really.
Rifling.

For what it's worth to the discussion, when I first monkeyed with this concept, I would find that the cushion wad would strike a target twenty yards away, often within the shot pattern. The wads had enough steam left to cruise right through cardboard boxes used to hold my paper targets.

Then, I recall using pure bees wax for the cushion wad. It's been years ago and I know that I wrote about here. It raised eyebrows, including mine. :hmm:

If I knew how to post a link to the thread I would. :slap:

Best regards, Skychief

I figured they would.. Most likely low in the shot pattern though. If you have the link message it to me and I'll post it

I went into my old topics and found a couple threads of interest.

My memory failed me however. :shake:

The loads which had wads penetrate a cardboard box amongst the pattern were indeed Olive Oil wads, not bees wax.

Also these were shot at 25 yards instead of 20.

They were fired from my 12 gauge which I haven't shot much lately since acquiring my 20 gauge flinter (thanks Spence :thumbsup: ). :haha:

I've given the particulars of these threads to CapPopper to possibly link here.

Thank you Zonie for coaching me toward successfully posting a link to those threads. I'm afraid you had no idea how poorly equipped I am to do such things. :redface: :redface:

Still, I am nicely equipped to clip little greys on high in the Fall and provide truck rides for the local gobblers each Spring with the "Skychief Special"! :wink:

I'll take it :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

I ordered wads and overshot cards for my 16 gauge today.

I’m gonna give it a try, I can’t wait to see one of my wads hit the target at 25 yards. :shocked2:

Sky, how do you carry the wet wads while hunting?

smo, I carry them in an old Altoid type tin, separate from my other cards.

CapPopper, thanks for those links. :hatsoff:

My experience is that my 20 gauge wads don't hit targets downrange like the 12 gauge wads do. I won't hazard a quest of why.

Best regards, Skychief

Latest posts

Back