• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why no black powder hunting personalities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antelope Pete

40 Cal
Reaction score
So there are hunting shows with these personalities that travel to various areas and use archery, primitive, traditional and/or compound, and of course modern rifle but there isn't much of anything for black powder either muzzleloader or breech loader. Yeah there's a show once in awhile but there isn't and never was to my knowledge of a Fred Bear, Jack O Connor, Clay Hanes type. I don't think primitive or traditional archery is a huge financial market yet there they are. It's not that I need that but it's interesting by it's absence.

Not worth the TV network's time.

The Black powder community is such a small segment of the shooting sports industry
the advertisers won't support it. That is why there are no famous personalities.
You’re famous at my house BP Maniac! I look forward to your new videos every Sunday morning! Just ask my wife or our son! If you’re ever in Northern California we could burn some powder on my range.

You’re famous at my house BP Maniac! I look forward to your new videos every Sunday morning! Just ask my wife or our son! If you’re ever in Northern California we could burn some powder on my range.
Heck yeah he is. I'm going to have the pleasure of burning powder with the BPMS this September.

Unlike fishing shows where camera crews can film from a nearby pontoon, deckboat ,etc., hunting shows are way harder to produce. Some of the "Hunting" shows honestly make me want to puke.

Shooting anything under an electric feeder, etc.- sorry if that's you - no chance for animals, certainly not fair chase, regardless of the method. Every time one of that type of program airs, "we" certainly do not gain public support. I still enjoy my small collection of old VHS hunting tapes - especially Fred Bear even though I've never been much of an archer. Fred hunted everything from flying ducks to polar bears with a traditional bow.

Daresay, in this day and age, there exists ample opportunity via the internet for creative people to produce exceptional footage of muzzleloading hunts. May even be some good ones online. Don't know.

Modern hunting and fishing tv shows aren’t about hunting or fishing. They are all about selling the latest, greatest gadgets, gear and designer camouflage clothes. Who wants to watch somebody actually hunt with a homemade 18th century type gun, powder, balls, accoutrements and clothes?

So there are hunting shows with these personalities that travel to various areas and use archery, primitive, traditional and/or compound, and of course modern rifle but there isn't much of anything for black powder either muzzleloader or breech loader. Yeah there's a show once in awhile but there isn't and never was to my knowledge of a Fred Bear, Jack O Connor, Clay Hanes type. I don't think primitive or traditional archery is a huge financial market yet there they are. It's not that I need that but it's interesting by it's absence.
Jim Shockey, Larimer Sasquatch Miller. Sasquatch hunts with side lock or did. I haven't had his channel in quite awhile. He is on insta gram. I don't know what Shockeys doing since he lost his wife.

been hunting for 56 years, i very much dislike hunting shows . to me the hunt itself is more fun the the killing of an animal as that signifies the end of the hunt. that animal and the mountains are greatly respected by me.i really dont mind not taking a deer as long as im out there. on these shows idiots jumpin up and down yellin YOU SMOKED EM are too much for me. i also feel that shows like that hurt hunting. imagine a parent or a teacher showing kids some of those shows. what will they think a hunter is???

I hate inlines----did I tell you I hate inlines? I got one from a friend when he died and gave it away, I would not even fire it once.
Back when walking was easy I prayed for snow so I could track deer with my flintlock. I can't do it now at my age but those were the days.

Back