• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pripley

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Why is it that I have problems right at "Cease Fire Time"?
The "one minute warning sounds", and I get a flash with no bang. :confused: I didn't have a pick handy as I had not been having any problems.
No problem, I re-prime and this time I get nothing - "Cease Fire". I then notice that half of the flint is gone. :cursing:
I explain to the Range Officer that I need to work on my flint.
So the fellow announces to the whole Range, "put your hearing protection back on, we have to get a m-u-z-z-l-e-l-o-a-d-e-r to fire". :redface:
I slap in a new flint in quick-time and I get a flash with no bang. :redface: OK - Pick the vent, I have to leave the bench and get a pick out of my range bag.
Just as I am doing this, one of the Range Officers takes down the side screen and begins to stand just to my right as if getting ready to help me, :shocked2: so I have to tell him to stand back.
When I picked the vent I felt a crunch - a flint shard must have gotten lodged in the vent on the first misfire.
I finally get a bang with well over 50 people watching. The shot was on target after all of that! :)
You can't have enough possibles in your Possibles Bag.
(.50 cal GPR with L&R lock, vent opened to .070", Swiss 4Fg Prime, Goex 2Fg Charge)

Talk about bad luck :shake: I pick my vent on every shot. We learn from our mistakes. Good luck in the future :thumbsup:

For some perverse reason flintlocks are more failure prone when there are non-flintlock shooters watching OR when your rifle is being fired by someone new to MLing. I have noticed this numerous times over the years.

If the flint being broken in big chunks happens often then you may have a frizzen rebound problem. This can be checked by making leather pad long enough to cover most of the top of the flint. This will give a witness to frizzen rebound and also protect the flint.
Just a thought.

P1000932.jpg

Dan

Latest posts

Back